Have you ever lanced or opened a hard lump or bump on your chicken? Because I'm going to and need advice.

It's never an easy decision.
I ground up 1 norco 7.5 and 1 tizanadine, a stronger muscle relaxant than flexaril. Put it in water and syringe it into her. It's how I euthanized a hen a few years ago, only with flexaril.

It's been over half an hour: she's walking around and eating. I keep expecting her to lay down, go to sleep and die. Go figure.

If it doesn't kill her, I'll open this lump up.

Update: my little red hen survived today's attempt at euthanasia. That's not all. It got wild this afternoon, in a good way, I think.

30 minutes after I administered the cocktail I'd used before, she was up, moving around and eating, drinking on her own. This continued ALL AFTERNOON.

This evening, there is runny yellow stuff on the pine shavings in three spots. No blood, no shell, no bad smell. It's thinner than yolk, but much brighter than the tetracycline.

The hard lump on her left upper quadrant has shrunk: the lower part that had grown over the course of last night has retreated back to where it was last evening.

It is NOT her crop. It's in the upper left quadrant of her chest, inferior of her throat, left of her esophagus. There shouldn't be ANY vital structure there.

Opinions? Conjecture? I'm CONFUSED!

Update: my little red hen survived today's attempt at euthanasia. That's not all. It got wild this afternoon, in a good way, I think.

30 minutes after I administered the cocktail I'd used before, she was up, moving around and eating, drinking on her own. This continued ALL AFTERNOON.

This evening, there is runny yellow stuff on the pine shavings in three spots. No blood, no shell, no bad smell. It's thinner than yolk, but much brighter than the tetracycline.

The hard lump on her left upper quadrant has shrunk: the lower part that had grown over the course of last night has retreated back to where it was last evening.

It is NOT her crop. It's in the upper left quadrant of her chest, inferior of her throat, left of her esophagus. There shouldn't be ANY vital structure there.

Opinions? Conjecture? I'm CONFUSED!
This is definitely confusing. Did you check the lump for holes/drainage? The yellow liquid sounds like it could be discharge or pus that hasn't hardened yet. I'm wondering if the previous attempt to lance it worked and it just burst, hence why it's smaller.

This is definitely confusing. Did you check the lump for holes/drainage? The yellow liquid sounds like it could be discharge or pus that hasn't hardened yet. I'm wondering if the previous attempt to lance it worked and it just burst, hence why it's smaller.
I wondered as well, although I can't find any obvious signs of drainage. Her poop sure stinks tonight though!

But if it actually is draining, that's good news!

Back
Top Bottom