Have you ever raised chicks to sell?

Back in August (I think) we got the '25 pullet surprise' before and raised them to 10 - 15 weeks.

We kept a few to add to the 'permanent collection' and sold the rest for 5-8 bucks apiece.

thanks all. maybe i'll give it a try based on these responses. like most of you, i was shocked when he told me he paid $22 for a bird that wasn't even laying yet, especially when i paid $8 per for some young delawares not too long ago.

Like jeremy, I am in California. I have gotten $20 for my birds that I sold at point of lay. They were also raised organically so they really went quick with lots of responses to my ad. Being in a big urban city probably makes the difference due to less supply and more demand. Anyway, even at $20, there probably was little to no profit to be gained after figuring in the cost of feed and supplies. I just raised a few more than I needed and picked my favorites to keep.

Last edited:
I had thought about doing this just so I could get my chick fix this spring since I can't have any more than four in town. (Chicken math = You don't have to count 'em if you're not gonna keep 'em) I would just want to re-coop my costs.

I'm waiting for some eggs to hatch in January. My friend (
love.gif
:p) told me he sold his 10 wk old silkies for $25 each and I was shocked! I'm seeing if eh could sell mine for me as well...
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom