1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have you ever read a book that affected you for days?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bakerjw, Dec 3, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I love to read. I always have. Part of the enjoyment of reading is getting caught up in the characters and situations that they are placed. A good author can make this connection with the reader while some just can't ever seem to make it happen. A few years ago I read "Rise of Endymion" by Dan Simmons and really got wrapped up in the 2 main characters. It took me a week to get over the book and the ending. I just finished Mockingjay and it's still there rattling around in my head. I read a lot and a few books come close but it is hard to find a good SciFi or Fantasy author that can do this.

Does anyone else have this happen to them?
    Any suggestions for authors?

I'm waiting for book 6 of the game of thrones series from George R. R. Martin but in the interim I've picked up the dragon riders of pern as it was highly rated.

2. Not Too Cocky

Not Too Cocky New Egg

Dec 3, 2011
    I know exactly what you mean. Sorry, though, that SciFi is not my genre.

3. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    I can totally relate to being sucked in to a good story. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is one that I highly recommend. It is an historical novel about the building of a cathedral in England. Very gripping. It was made into a mini-series made for Starz (which I didn't watch because I find the movie is NEVER as good as the book) and is being re-run currently.

Another great book is One Hundred years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Loved it!!

4. cybercat 2

cybercat 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    Quote:I liked the Game of Thrones books but I LOVE the Dragon Riders of Pern series...

Do you like zombies?

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I LOVED this book and I think I may even reread it. (Pillars that is - have never read the other one)

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Larry Niven, I really enjoyed the "Known Space" series of stories, Ringworld, the Beowulf stories etc.

7. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Yes I was like that with the Anne Rice novels. I finished re-reading Interview of a Vampire and it was just as amazing as the first time I read it. It was an audio book (I'm legally blind and can no longer read much print) and the reader just gave another level of depth to the novel. One of my favorite lines (LOL I have it memorized) [​IMG] :
    Her lips were red
    Her looks were free
    Her locks were yellow as gold
    Her skin was white as leprosy
    The nightmare of life and death was she
    Who fixed mans blood with cold
    -Anne Rice: Interview of a Vampire

Oooo I get shivers every time I read it! [​IMG]

8. theotherranch

theotherranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    The Dragonriders series is wonderful.
    I don't know if you've read any of the "classics" but the " I, Robot " series by Asminov is very good.
    Robert Heinlein is another old author, but his books are as good today as they were when written
    And don't forget Jules Verne, some what dated now, but a good author.

9. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    If you liked hunger games, read the tally Youngblood series.

10. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    SPOILER ALERT.
    GOSH! Peeta! And KAtnisss shouldn't marry! [​IMG] Gale and catnip should be together! And Katniss shouldn't have kids with peeta!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by