Have you ever read a book that affected you for days?

Oh yes, most definitely.
Some books have even inspired dreams of mine that I've hung onto over the years.
thumbsup.gif

There's one book I once read, called Glamour. We picked it up at a fair for 50 cents, but it was 50c very well spent. I've read it multiple times, and although slightly overwhelming, it never fails to touch me how each of those girls gets back up from being kicked to the kerb and becomes a powerful businesswoman. Now there's some girl power for you all...
tongue.png

Dennis Lehane's "Gone, Baby, Gone". I read that (before the movie came out), and it left me very disturbed for days. What was 'right' and 'wrong' became very muddled. Ethically, one thing was right, but humanely??? It really bummed me out.

Anna Sewell's "Black Beauty" is a childhood favorite, that I read more times than I can recall. It is still a very powerful story to me. Another one where I never saw the movie.

Quote:
I LOVED this book and I think I may even reread it. (Pillars that is - have never read the other one)

Steph.. there is a mini series starting Dec. 4th.. called Pillars of the Earth...
Wonder if its related to the book?
Anyways, it looked good, so i set it to record on my DVR..
cool.png

ETA: OH POO! Now I've done it! Just what I get for letting mom borrow my laptop, LOL.. First she was posting in my name, now I'm in hers. I'm Squishy!

I think I've read nearly all of the Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne Macaffery. They are really good, but one thing to keep in mind is which ones you pick. Some are pretty slow and technical... while others are fast paced and full of action and humor. She was a consistently great writer, but it seems her stories changed with her mood.
smile.png

Some of my favorites were the harper ones... the drummer one.. the ones with the wryms were great, and my favorite was the one with the mine and the wryms. Also Jaxom and his white dragon were a great story. The harper dragon rider books that followed the Mater Harper were some of the best, most fascinating reads. Also the first couple of books that go back to the beginning of the colony are very worthy reads. But some of the later ones are a little dull.

I read alot too... I tend to follow the same authors alot... because I tend to be picky about the authors writing style.

Some of my favorites are...

Mercedes Lackey. She is such a wonderful author. On first glance some of her books may seem a little fanciful, but if you're into sci-fi you may really like them. Her stories involving The Tradition are such amazing renditions of Fairy Tales, and anything BUT boring. They are highly ammusing, complex, intellectually stimulating, often surprising, but best of all leave me with a happy feeling when I'm done.
big_smile.png

Her companion series is one of those that stayed on my mind for ages after. Especially Firebringer.

Tamora Pierce. Her books are found in the older teen sections, but her writing and story-weaving are stellar enough that I still read her books, and my mother is happy to read her books after me. I think I've read all of her stuff... now waiting on the 3rd Beka Cooper book, which may have come out by now, come to think of it. Those are pretty cool, police type stories.

I really like the Green Rider books by Kristen Britain.

If I think of more I'll come back here
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I LOVED this book and I think I may even reread it. (Pillars that is - have never read the other one)

Steph.. there is a mini series starting Dec. 4th.. called Pillars of the Earth...
Wonder if its related to the book?
Anyways, it looked good, so i set it to record on my DVR..
cool.png

Yes, it is based on the book. It was originally on Starz last year and is being rerun on Reelz starting tomorrow.

It is also on Netflix - have yet to watch it and not sure I want too. I started watching the first one and then quit.

Squishy - I will have to look up the author but if you like "fairy tales with a twist" you might like the book Zel and then there is one called The Beast. Oh I think it is Donna Napoli or something like that. They are tween/teen books but have a different POV than the traditional fairy tales and also make you think. Zel is about Rapunzel and you get to hear the story from Rapunzel's, her Mom and the Prince who rescues her points of view. The Beast is from the beast's POV in Beauty and the Beast. They have a dark edge and won't neccessarily leave you feeling happy when you are done. SHe has several more.

Back
Top Bottom