Have you ever seen an egg laid?

I'm just not sure if they'll perform if I have the nest box open when they're busy. Kinda like staring at the wife on the toilet. (which I never do, but can only imagine the response, and consequences)

You need to invest in one-way glass Joe - actually, i'm rather surprised you have not done so already. Maybe you are too busy with your new bike?

CT

I have 12 mature hens and 4 of them are Australorps. 3 out of those 4 sing THE LOUDEST egg song I have ever heard! It goes on and on after they lay their eggs! I have one Barred Rock that sings when she sees another egg in the box. I commonly sit in the coop and watch them lay! So many interesting things to learn. :)

One very interesting thing I've observed when observing the egg laying event is that once the hen gets into "the zone", she is so relaxed and focused, I can quietly open the nest box door and stand there and watch and it doesn't phase her in the least. This goes for even my skittish hens. The problem with this activity is it can sometimes take a while to get to the grand finale, so you have to have endurance.

As for your wife, I won't even go there.
x2

In my big coop, I just sit on the lowest roost and can watch them.

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif

One very interesting thing I've observed when observing the egg laying event is that once the hen gets into "the zone", she is so relaxed and focused, I can quietly open the nest box door and stand there and watch and it doesn't phase her in the least. This goes for even my skittish hens. The problem with this activity is it can sometimes take a while to get to the grand finale, so you have to have endurance.

As for your wife, I won't even go there.
Have had this happen too.
I have 'rear access' to nests for egg collection have seen up close and personal the actual emergence of the egg from the vent during frequent cold weather collection.
It's pretty amazing....watching the bloom dry, picking up a hot egg with a cold hand.

gig.gif

Have had this happen too.
I have 'rear access' to nests for egg collection have seen up close and personal the actual emergence of the egg from the vent during frequent cold weather collection.
It's pretty amazing....watching the bloom dry, picking up a hot egg with a cold hand.

I know!

Other fun things I do are:

Watching Grass Grow
Watching Paint Dry
Watching a Golf tournament
A fly egg hatch
Turtle races

Maybe intimate would have been better than personal. Lol. I mean we all know where eggs come from but seeing where and when they come from......

too bad Coffee is not on this thread, she has a pullet that waits until she is in the coop to lay them. She lays them at her feet, and actually laid one in the pocket of her jacket when she had laid it down..

Back
Top Bottom