Have you ever smelled your chickens?

I'm not a chicken "smeller" as you guys are but I do know that when the chickens have mites, you can tell by the smell in the pen. Also, I've been trying a new method of constantly adding pine shavings to the bottom of the pen. This helps too. But the best cleanest hens, is the ones who get PLENTY of dirt baths.
smile.png

Dave

I love the smell of the chicken house for the first few weeks after I clean it - pine shavings with a hint of chicken. However, I doubt Yankee Candle will ever have that scent available
big_smile.png

Oh thank GAWD!!! I'm not the only one!! I LOVE the way my chickens smell!! Granted, I have only been on this little chicken adventure of mine for a few months now, but I have not had any problems with even my coop smelling. I will confess however that I am a "Harriet Homemaker" when it comes to my coop. I only have 11 birds and a small coop so when I open it up in the morning I do scoop the poo up off of the pine shavings (thank you DH for the cat litter scoop idea!!) every morning as there are only about 6 or so little piles. It takes me all of about 10 minutes to get the coop opened up and cleaned and the food and water set out for the day. I was initially terrified as my neighbor has chickens and I have seen her go in to clean her coop in some type of hazmat suit and mask. That actually stopped me from getting them sooner. Go figure!!
lol.png

Anyway, thanks for this thread because I'm sure I won't be saying this around my regular peeps who already think I'm stone cold insane.
hide.gif

Oh, thank you so much, woodmort, for mentioning this. I mean, it's not like it's The Top Important Topic in Keeping Chickens, nor does it solve any problems, but it's REAL and it reassured me where I wasn't even sure I needed reassurance.
lol.png

Co-workers already think I'm jess a bit techted in the head. I've never mentioned I sniff my chickens now and then, after the first surprise of discovering one of my hens smelled pretty good. Well, that she had an acceptable and rather pleasant odor to her feathers. People at work know I have purchased and put a "shawl" (saddle) on Carl's favorite gal, and why. They heard about my successful save of a nearly drowned hen who'd fallen into the stock tank/duck pool. Everybody knows I name all the chickens and would never eat any of 'em. They are amazed I know which eggs in the carton they buy from me have been produced by which chicken.

Many have suffered through the little photo essays I share about the antics in my flock.

Many more simply shake their heads when they hear about Matilda, who has become my special needs chicken, as her legs are paralyzed and I'm providing her supportive and palliative care instead of "putting her down."

But to admit I'm a chicken-sniffer? Just another reason I am so pleased there is a BYC and it's supported by SO many folks who really DO understand!

Last edited:
oh well wait till you smell a chicken fart then see what you think, or maybe it was me, the wife said I was just trying to blame someone else

Back
Top Bottom