Have you ordered from e-fowl

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
I see that e-fowl had Gadwall pairs. Has anyone ordered from them. I don't really want a pair, but I am thinking about a friend for jet. If I get a pair will they let him into their little flock. Would I be better off getting him a different kind of small duck for a buddy. I guess they sell singles in January, but I don't know if they would ship a single...or would that even be a good idea to get a single shipped to Alaska in January.

I wouldn't ship a single to AK in Jan, just in case the weather prevents the mail from getting to you in Valdez. I know last year in Kodiak we had a few times where no planes landed for a couple of days so all mail sat in Anchorage for a couple of days. Not sure if mail is flown in to you or driven in, but either way, weather in January can easily be an issue and I'd not want a duckling(s) to be stuck in Anchorage.

I would not worry to much about him being a single duck. Keep on putting him together with your other ducks and eventually they will become on flock. Besides that I would give him the option to go back into the wild, because that is where he came from. It may be painful to you to see him leave, but it is also good to know that it went to its roots living wild and free. He may even stay because he wants to.
I had once a wild duck and I loved it when she started to fly always coming back to her home. In fall she did migrate with the wild ducks. I was sad to see her go, but was happy for her too. We don't know exactly what happened to her, but I do think she is still around. There is a small pond next to our property, which never had ducks because it is seasonal. We have seen a duck there every spring since she has left. We think it is her, but have no way of telling for sure. This spring the duck showed up with a boy.

Anyway I would raise a wild duck again anytime. And I do love to see it being re-integrated into the wild. It is a good feeling too.

I've notice that gadwalls integrate well with other ducks, so I think as long as you have other ducks around, Jet will be fine. Sometimes, they breed with mallards, too.

I did order from efowl. I ordered 4 Cayuga hens and 6 Hybrid White ducks. One Cayuaga didn't make it. And the Hybrids turn out to be brown. The less you order, the more expensive. They need to put a heating pad in with the birds if it is a small order. I wanted 4 ducks, but it would have cost twice as much 10 ducks. They couldn't keep their order staight. However, they did want to reimburse me for the Hybrids, but I had said no, they were still ducks.

I would order from metzer.com
Just get some mallards, because they are close to gadwalls. Best is to talk to John Metzer about the Alaska thing. He is very nice and knows what he is doing. Otherwise you can just keep him as is. Ducks can deal with a lot of things, and he seems to be already imprinted on you. Try to include him with your ducks. It will work eventually.

Quote:
clap.gif

THAT is why eFowl has such a bad reputation...I would just order directly from http://www.metzerfarms.com/ since thats where most of their Mallard-Deriviative Ducks come from. eFowl has no permanent flock of anything and just drop ships from other hatcherys/breeders. They have even been known to use BYC Members' pictures without their consent. Use the search button and look up eFowl...pretty bad...

Thanks everyone for the info... I won't try that. Maybe I'll try putting Jet back into the pen with the runners. Jet is willing to be friends with anyone... it is the runners that are being turkeys. : (

Back
Top Bottom