Have you read "Still Life with Chickens"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Taterchick, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Taterchick

Taterchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Western NY
    I read this book last summer and I think anyone who loves chickens would enjoy it. It is fiction. It is wonderfully written and a quick enjoyable read. The chickens are wonderful in the book.

I read another book a few years ago that is great and has chickens in it. It is called "A Can of Peas" The woman in this book raises meat birds and it too is a wonderful! I really identified with the main character. I am a true city girl that move to the country. We moved back to my husband's large family potato farm from Los Angeles, CA. We both had high paying corporate jobs but decided that isn't how we wanted to raise our children.

I love books that embrace my passion for chickens and life! Am I nuts?

Anyone know of any other good books you can suggest?

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I read Still Life and really enjoyed it, too. It was very realistic about what care is like. And it's based on a true story, too.

I read "Chicken Boy" recently. It's a kids book, but I enjoyed it. My 12-year old is reading it now.

I love books, period. And books that have chickens are even better. So you are NOT alone, Taterchick!!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I read it when it first came out too and still have the book ...It's a great book for someone that has chickens and has things going on in their life.....She even quotes Wes in TX on a few things and he is highly thought of on BYC ezboard...he is our expert chicken advisor!!...lol....Catherine use to come on the other BYC ezboard site alot...haven't seen her there in awhile...I think she said she was writing another book but don't quote me on that...it's been awhile...She goes or went by the nic Herron....

It's not fiction...these were things going on in her life....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I loved Still Life w/ Chickens also.. I will have to find Peas in a Can!

I am a beekeeper and read the book "Beeing" by Rosanna Thomas.. I think anyone would really enjoy it. It's as much about life and motherhood as bees! Easy-fun reading. Dixie

5. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    The author was a member at the old BYC, not sure if she is still around there.

6. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I have the book "Still Life with Chickens" also, and it was about the Author and happenings in her life. a true story. It was very good, I loved it and kept it.

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I read it too and loved it! I want to say that I learned about BYC because she mentioned it in the back of the book. Not 100% sure but I think so. [​IMG]

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Read it--I really liked it.

9. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    Has any one ever read anything by Barbara Kingsolver???

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Chickee's Mom :

Has any one ever read anything by Barbara Kingsolver???

I have. I just read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life and liked it very much.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by