Have you seen pellet game feed?

jcatblum

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Cement, OK
I am in search of pellets for the guineas. No luck yet. We have sandy soil & they drop all their food when they eat. It disappears quickly into the ground. I have tried hanging feeders & PVC style. They make the same mess.

I dont notice the mess with my birds that free range. The mess comes from those in the grow out pen. Any thoughts?

I use Purina Catfish Diet for my domesticated and Exotic Guinea Fowl. 32% protein, costs around $17 for a 50lb bag. Its round pellets. All my friends here wonder why my Guineas do so much better than theres. Guineas are mostly a insectivore by nature, and insects are extremely high in protein...so the more protein, the better. The feed I get is at my local Tractor Supply.

I use mini pellets from a local feed mill... game bird feed, 24% protein and also get their 16% protein layer pellets (in a mini pellet too), the birds don't waste ANY. They also have a meat bird mini pellet, 20% protein. The company is Bar Ale, I don't think they are nation wide tho. Maybe you can order a shipment of it?
hmm.png

ETA:
My large brooder pens of keets wasted a lot of their starter crumbles, so I started sitting one of the large galvanized hanging feeders (one that lets you adjust the food flow rate) inside a shallow round rubber feed tub (not hanging). Contains the mess much better, less waste.

Last edited:
I use Mazuri Gamebird Breeder which is a little extruded ball & doesn't break down like crumbles or pellets. Many Purina Dealers can order it for you, but it is pricey $19.74/40lbs. here. The 40 lbs does last as long as a 50 lb bag of regular for my chickens and guineas. I really like it, so will buy it as long as I can, especially for guineas, as they don't eat much.

I will check & see if one of our local feed stores can maybe if I go in with a few brand options they can located something. I use a 40 lb bag every 4 or 5 days now so I am sure I could buy enough to make it worth their time to order it for me.

Peeps do you keep layer available in a separate container from game feed?

Quote:
No, I only use the 24% for my 6wk - 14wk olds, then they gradually get weaned over to the 16% layer feed for a week or 2 after that (if I keep them that long). During the cold months I mix some of the 24% and cracked corn or sweet feed in with their 16% layer pellets for an extra calorie, energy and protein boost so they are in good condition come January when they start breeding/laying, (then they get switched back to just the 16% layer pellets all thru the breeding/laying season). I use 2 feeders in each pen but they both contain the same feed or feed mix. Oyster shell and grit are in separate smaller feeders in each pen tho, year round.

The only game feed I find here is 18%. I am going to talk real nice to the guy at the co-op next time see what kind of compromise we can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom