Have you seen the price

So, we ended up getting 19 gage 1/2" by 1/2" 4' x 100' hardware cloth for $105 a roll. We will put that on the entire run and bury it around the perimeter. Then we got a roll of 14 gage 1/2" x 1" welded wire, also 4' x 100' for $119 and that will go over the hardware cloth all along the bottom of the run. The run walls are 6 ft high so the bottom 4' will have two layers of protection and the top 2 ft. will just have the hardware cloth, but I think this will work well for us for the predators that we have.

I was thinking about the vinyl coated hardware cloth but was told that the wire under the vinyl was not galvanized and if the vinyl had so much as a pinhole in it the wire would start rusting. Also, if the vinyl started to decompose the chickens would eat the vinyl
Not sure how accurate this is but this got me buying the 19g 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth. I don't know what the life expectancy of the HWC is but I am hoping it will last a good long time.
Our entire run is encased in HWC---all sides and the top. It's 10' x 20'. HWC is also run down and out from the perimeter.
We bought the HWC from a distributor that has multiple sites around the country. We picked it up in New Jersey. They have centers in Texas, Florida, Oklahoma and New Jersey. Shipping costs are not great.
Here's where we got it. If you can pick it up the prices are very good:

http://www.wireclothman.com/

I was thinking about the vinyl coated hardware cloth but was told that the wire under the vinyl was not galvanized and if the vinyl had so much as a pinhole in it the wire would start rusting.
This is true of any kind of vinyl coated wire.
Saw it happen years ago, fence looked OK but was all coating and nothing much more than rust inside. Was a good lesson.

So, we ended up getting 19 gage 1/2" by 1/2" 4' x 100' hardware cloth for $105 a roll. We will put that on the entire run and bury it around the perimeter. Then we got a roll of 14 gage 1/2" x 1" welded wire, also 4' x 100' for $119 and that will go over the hardware cloth all along the bottom of the run. The run walls are 6 ft high so the bottom 4' will have two layers of protection and the top 2 ft. will just have the hardware cloth, but I think this will work well for us for the predators that we have.
Good decision.
The 16ga would be nice but not really necessary as long you attach the HC taut with good fasteners(screws and washers). The 16ga is more expensive because much less common, and well, heavier wire-more material.

I would bury the 14ga instead of the 19ga HC. It will rust out much slower.
Are you going to bury straight down or use an apron?

We thought about doing something similar to this, but I am worried about rattlesnakes getting in as they can climb apparently.

Oh Mr. NoShoulders, know him well...You'll need to go higher than 2 ft to keep the snakes out. Keep the grass short, leaves, brush/ornamentals, compost piles as far away from your runs as possible. Too, Timber and Copperheads both have a camouflage that blend in very well with these things too making them difficult to spot. Don't leave any feed available for rodents. 1/2" mesh is good for making snake traps. The skin of 6 ft Canebreak, 17 rattles and a buttons pinned to the wall is my reminder to be vigilant. Dispatched a small one a few days ago outside the coop with a box full of poults in my lap. Be careful.

Good decision.
The 16ga would be nice but not really necessary as long you attach the HC taut with good fasteners(screws and washers). The 16ga is more expensive because much less common, and well, heavier wire-more material.

I would bury the 14ga instead of the 19ga HC. It will rust out much slower.
Are you going to bury straight down or use an apron?

We probably are going to do an apron because the people that owned our home before us filled the entire yard with gravel and it is a hideous chore digging anything out. He is going to try to shovel a trench as deep as he can and lay the HC into the trench and cover that with gravel. He will be attaching the HC from the top of the run down and into the trench, section by section. Everything will be attached with washers and screws so the HC will be attached at the bottom of the run and then laid into the trench as one piece. If this makes any sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom