Have you stared at eggs so long you THINK you see them move?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 202roosterlane, Aug 16, 2011.

1. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I have and even after candling and monitoring temps/humidity and I even give then 3 or four extra days out of desperation, when I break then open some are fully grown and dead and some are mostly smelly liquid rotten. No chicken. But when you candle it it looks like something is in there and has an air sack. Most have these have come from the mail. SO I know there is a lot of factors there. But so far out of 26 eggs I have 3 chics. It is devastating. I have stayed up four nights in a row watching them. I honestly think at times I see slight movement. But when I give up and open them... dead or just rotten liquid. I put 3 humidity and 3 temp monitors in each bator. One moves the eggs and one is for lock down. I am not sure what I could be doing wrong. The ones not fertilized are easy to figure out from candling but the others really can fool you. Help!

2. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    When I stared at them in the bator (lock down) there were times I really think I saw then slightly move. I think I must have been exhausted and my eyes were tired.

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!!!!!! I am in lockdown now with silkies and polish crested and I swear I can see the eggs move. And then I look away and look back and dont know if it really moved or not. Isnt it great?????

4. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Yeah it is exciting but most of the times,they really move.If they are in lockdown. [​IMG]

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have stared for so long, I could swear, I see them cracking. But there's usually nothing..

6. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Yeah I stayed up like 4 nights in a row, thinking tonight is the night.....finally 5 days over due I gave up. I wonder why I thought they wiggled when in fact they were dead?
    It is so sad!! I still constantly check temp and humidity. I am not giving up. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    I very much know what you mean! Mine are on lock down right now. They were due to hatch Monday. I had ONE hatch out on Saturday night and since then NOTHING. And this was a start of 30 eggs. I don't know what I did wrong - I mean.... if one matured why didn't the others? I candled at day 17 and tossed 18 of them, leaving 12 I was pretty sure are viable and only this one has hatched.

I look in the incubator and I am pretty sure I see this one particular egg moving, but still no pips or anything....

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I stare at mine looking for a wiggle and I noticed that sometimes the movement was due to leaning on the table supporting the incubator! LOL

In your first post you asked why the chicks made it so far and did not hatch. Hopefully you kept a notebook and can make use of that information and these websites.

Trouble shooting hatching problems
    http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html

Another hatching trouble shooter in a different setup that might be easier to use for some people. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

Reading these 2 sites might give you some insight and ID what to change or not. GL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by