Have your hens ever squatted for you?

I've read here that when a hen squats in front of you, you're to reach down and give her a lovely little back rub. That'll make her feel accepted and... um... give her that "glow".
wink.png

Heck, for a nice back rub I'd squat, too!

I picked up our barred rock tonight for a cuddle and was rewarded with a wet, juicy, poo squirt all the way down my forearm.
sickbyc.gif
GROSS!!!!

you can make them do a dance if you practice at it. just please video tape it so we can all enjoy it. yes mine squat and posture their wings they started it about a week before they laid, good luck and keep em dancing.

All 4 of my chickens squat for me and I give them a little rub under their wings, the fluff their feathers and go on about their business. I have found that on of my chickens doesn't lay unless she gets that attention. Must be roo related!?!?

My girls, Pearl and Maggie do this..They laid soon after doing so...they still squat ...I think Pearl does it so I wont pick her up. Any who I am new here and I loved ur post...I thought my girls were the only one. Take care.

Watch their combs and wattles, when they start turning bright red, they are ready to start laying. Squatting is submissive behavior.
wink.png

The funny thing is that it's the older gals... not the young ones. We've still got about a month to go before my spring gals will be laying.

Maybe it is because they didn't have a roo for a while and they looked up to me to be their protector? Whatever it is, I'll take your advice and give them a little luv'n.

Thanks!

all 3 of mine now squat. and they are laying. the RIR, speckeled sussex are the first one to let me pet them. however my 18 month old daughter is allowed to pick all of them up so im not sure who is "roo"
smile.png

2 of my 4 squat like that. From what I was told it was the chicken thinking I was a roo trying to mate. Someone had said their grandmother used to stroke them under their wings, and it made them do it more.. Seemes to be true, they both really like it, and get daily rubs. Best part was about 4 days later my black laid.. I now have 3 eggs in 3 days. Hopefully the red will lay soon too. Heck if it helps them lay to think their mated Ill gladly give a under the wing rub.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom