Haven't been on line much, Sorry

LindaMurphy

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Surprise Arizona
Quote: Hi there my new friends. I haven't been on line much so I really haven't had a chance to get to know you all yet. I am new to raising chickens and ducks but I have to say that I love it. I wake up every morning to my kids clucking at my steps when I come out.

My little red rooster {Road Island Red} turns out to be a hen. She is the first to give me a little brown egg. I have been getting eggs 2 days on 1 off. A couple days later Little Momma {Americana} gave me a little blue egg. She hasn't been as consistent but she appears to be catching up now. They definitely like me feeding them back the egg shells. They seem to crave it now.
Julius as in (Orange Julius) and Big Momma {New Hampshire Reds} haven't started laying yet. Boy I have to say those 2 girls a big and fat. I keep looking at them thinking that I need to get a rooster and breed these girls. They sure look like they would produce some great rotisserie chickens. They are getting so big and fat. Of course I can't eat my starter group but they sure do have some lovely breasts and thighs.

Sweetie {my other Americana} I'm not sure she will lay for me or not. She was snagged by the neighbors dog and she is now blind in one eye. I didn't think she would survive long. Poor thing just kept spinning in circles. I had to help her find her food for a while but she seems to have gotten use to it. She has stopped the spinning in the direction of the good eye now. She seems to find her food fine now and Little Momma looks after her pretty much. That is actually why I call her Little Momma. I don't really care if she give me any eggs or not. If she does, she does, if she doesn't, she doesn't, no big deal. She will always be my Sweetie. These two girls like me to go in and stroke their backs after they have gone in for the night. I like to oblige them.

Then there is my little Elvis. We had an unfortunate incident with a coyote and his mate Tina Turner is gone. :-( I will be looking for another White Crested Polish to replace her as soon as I can. If you know anyone that has some females less than a year old in Phoenix Az. area please direct them my way. He really does miss his little girl. We were not positive that Elvis was a rooster till yesterday. I heard what I thought was a coyote right outside my trailer door so I went running outside calling my dog to save my chickens. Well, it turns out not to be a coyote but Elvis perched on our picnic table making this funny cackling sound then it finally changed in to a real life cock-a-doodle-doo. It was hilarious. Almost as funny as listening to my dog winding himself up to a howl for the first time.

Well that is my chicken family. I will come back on after lunch and tell you about my ducks Drakula and Buffy. LOL not my idea. They are actually my grand daughters. Funny how that works. I care and feed them and they claim the ducks. LOL well I get the eggs.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

That's what I try to do, too. Or was trying to do until we lost three to some undetermined ailment. That kinda took the wind out of my sails for awhile. Good luck with your birds.

I'll tell you since I moved out here to the desert I am sure learning to accept losses. Not just chicken losses. I lost all 3 of my kittens that I had saved in the city just to move out here and loss them to owls and coyotes. I still have nightmares thinking about it sometimes. I have lost 3 chickens to coyotes and 1 that just dropped dead mid run. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I am determined to continue my attempt to keep everyone safe. The fact that the dog can sleep in the middle of them all helps. He has gotten very good with them. He knows they are family and are to be protected. Best dog ever. I do understand what you mean about taking the wind out of your sails. It always hurts to loss a pet and yes my birds are pets.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom