Having a big baby problem......please help!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Jun 16, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Okay, well I have a first time broody sitting on eggs right now. I get her off the eggs everyday but, unfortunately she runs strait back and sit back down. She keeps pooping on them. [​IMG]
    (I know gross) I asked about this yesterday and I was told it would be okay. Okay, well this is the problem today I went out she had really yuckied 3 of the eggs and has pushed them to the side and won't sit on them. [​IMG] Can I wash them and give them back to her. If I do should I use a certain temp. Please help I don't want those babies to die just because, she won't poop in the proper place.

Thanks soooo much

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Usually if momma pushes them aside, they are duds. that has been my experience anyways. does she have food and water near her so she can get up and take a break? or does she have to walk too far. that might be why she is pooping in the nest.

3. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    I agree with miss_thenorth usually if the momma doesn't sit something is wrong with the eggs

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How long has she been sitting on the eggs? If it has been a few days maybe you can slip them out and candle them and see in what stage of development they are in??? I wouldn't wash the eggs but would carefully wipe them off.

5. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    No personal experience, but I've read about people feeding broodies scratch grain to make their poop a bit drier so that it comes off eggs easier. [​IMG] Don't know if that's any help, but I wish you and your broody the best of luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by