Having a heck of a time with temp control

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
I'm really having a hard time keeping the temp in my bathtub brooder constant. I've only had the chicks for two days now, and it seems that I am contstantly raising/lowering the lamp to try to keep the temperature relatively constant. I have a thermometer in the tub, but think I am going to take it out. The days here are warmer lately, but it gets really chilly at night. Just don't want to get my chicks sick, but don't want them to freeze or bake either. I'm guessing they are about 4 - 5 days old. Is this just something I will figure out what works best, or should I just put the lamp somewhere it seems to work fairly well and leave it. Just worry about my babies!

We also have hot days and cold nights here too... I usually adjust the heat lamp once during the day than again at night. But assuming they have enough room, they'll move to or away from the heat source and adjust themselves to what temperature suits them. I'm sure you'll find your own routine soon, have fun with your chickadees!
smile.png

I have this same problem in my plastic bin brooder in my room. It was going between 100 to 68 and I finally got it to were it hovered between 82-85. The chicks will be a week old when I get them (today :D!) so the temp is okay. Is the tub made out of porcelain?

Joeyfender,

Yes, it is a porcelain tub, which does warm up and hold the heat some. I left the light last night where I had the night before, and the temp stayed at 81 just at the edge of the red light, the chicks were under the light but not piled up this morning. It was 28 when I got up at 6:00. So, I think at least for now, I've figured out where to put the lamp at least at night.

Back
Top Bottom