1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Having a mixed flock..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Quatelmon, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Quatelmon

Quatelmon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Suffolk County, NY
    I will be getting a bunch of rhode island reds and barred plymouth rocks. I would like to use the roosters for meat. Can I feed them the same as my layers, our should they be separated? I would really like to only have to separate them when the time comes for processing. I'm so new to this! Can they all live together and eat the same things if they will be processed at 20 weeks or so. Any advice for a mixed flock of layers and meat?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Give a protein rich grower food out all the time with oyster shell on the side..your hens will lay bigger eggs and look better, while your roosters will grow faster and look better too. Like 20%. I don't think that is too much...I hope it isn't. My chickens all look great since they all started eating the chicks food once the chicks got moved to the coop.. I won't buy laying pellets anymore. It will be a higher protein ration and calcium on the side for me from now on, when I saw the difference in egg size. For real.

1 person likes this.
  3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yes you can feed them the same and keep them together.

4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Since your not raising super fast growers, you'll be fine feeding them together. However, it may add another week or two on to the time it takes for full dressing weight.

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2 exactly this.

6. Quatelmon

Quatelmon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Suffolk County, NY
    Great! Thanks! Glad I can raise them together and feed them the same thing. Will make things much easier around here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by