Having a mixed flock..

Quatelmon

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Suffolk County, NY
I will be getting a bunch of rhode island reds and barred plymouth rocks. I would like to use the roosters for meat. Can I feed them the same as my layers, our should they be separated? I would really like to only have to separate them when the time comes for processing. I'm so new to this! Can they all live together and eat the same things if they will be processed at 20 weeks or so. Any advice for a mixed flock of layers and meat?

Give a protein rich grower food out all the time with oyster shell on the side..your hens will lay bigger eggs and look better, while your roosters will grow faster and look better too. Like 20%. I don't think that is too much...I hope it isn't. My chickens all look great since they all started eating the chicks food once the chicks got moved to the coop.. I won't buy laying pellets anymore. It will be a higher protein ration and calcium on the side for me from now on, when I saw the difference in egg size. For real.

Give a protein rich grower food out all the time with oyster shell on the side..your hens will lay bigger eggs and look better, while your roosters will grow faster and look better too. Like 20%. I don't think that is too much...I hope it isn't. My chickens all look great since they all started eating the chicks food once the chicks got moved to the coop.. I won't buy laying pellets anymore. It will be a higher protein ration and calcium on the side for me from now on, when I saw the difference in egg size. For real.

x2 exactly this.

Back
Top Bottom