1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Having a problem again...please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ButtersMama, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Hello,
    My one leghorn is feather picking all of the chickens again.
    They all have missing feathers, sores and bleeding on them at the tail feather. The only one who doesn't have a bare spot there is the one who is doing the pecking.
    I returned the BlueKote after reading about it last time this one chicken was picking on only one other chicken. I bought a flock block and that seemed to work. I order Pinless Peepers 2 days ago and am waiting for them. I want to do something in the mean time and read I can put Vick's Vapo Rub on the chickens. Won't this burn them?????
    Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have read on this forum that using a combination of one package of grape-flavored drink mix (unsweetened) mixed with the Vick's will discourage feather picking. The combination of those flavors must be pretty yucky.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would separate the offending party pending peeper arrival.

4. ButtersMama

Feb 28, 2011
    Thank you for that. My concerned is the Vicks burning them. They have a few spots that were pecked and bled. All of them do.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Definitely; this is the usual method. At lest 3 days, maybe a week, and if possible, out of view and hearing of the others, so she will be a newcomer when she returns.

6. ButtersMama

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks, I'm going to do that right now before it gets dark. Have a good night [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by