Having a roo in your flock

ChickNgal96

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2018
Oxford kansas
Turns out one of my pullets is actually a roo. Now I am down to only 5 pullets. I didn’t plan on having a rooster to save some hassle. Is okay if I keep him with my flock. When the pullet become of age I do not what their eggs to be fertilized but I heard as long as they are gathered every day I don’t have to worry. Is that true?

I am also surprised to have a cockerel in the group. He is about 16 weeks old, and has just started to crow enthusiastically. He is also acting like a frat boy and sexually harassing the smallest pullets, the flock often won’t come out of the coop and I wonder if it is because it is harder for the pullets to hide.

There is no possibility of baby chicks unless one of your hens is broody. This means they set on the best day and night, and usually cluck and ruffle their feathers at you. Even then, if you gather the eggs daily, there is no chance of them developing. So yes, you can keep your rooster, as long as he doesn't over breed your hens. If you notice your hens getting barebacks, or bald heads, you either need to get rid of the roo, or get more hens.
Fertilized eggs are exactly the same as regular eggs, they just have the ability to develop if left under a hen for more than 12-14 hours.

I am also surprised to have a cockerel in the group. He is about 16 weeks old, and has just started to crow enthusiastically. He is also acting like a frat boy and sexually harassing the smallest pullets, the flock often won’t come out of the coop and I wonder if it is because it is harder for the pullets to hide.

its entirely possible. Young roosters are just like that old staying about teenage boys... young, dumb and ......... So they will harass the girls. If you have older ones, I'd drop him in with them. They'll teach him manners.

There is no possibility of baby chicks unless one of your hens is broody. This means they set on the best day and night, and usually cluck and ruffle their feathers at you. Even then, if you gather the eggs daily, there is no chance of them developing. So yes, you can keep your rooster, as long as he doesn't over breed your hens. If you notice your hens getting barebacks, or bald heads, you either need to get rid of the roo, or get more hens.
Fertilized eggs are exactly the same as regular eggs, they just have the ability to develop if left under a hen for more than 12-14 hours.
Okay thanks I may just decide to keep him and get some more hens. I know Roos will help protect the flock as well

its entirely possible. Young roosters are just like that old staying about teenage boys... young, dumb and ......... So they will harass the girls. If you have older ones, I'd drop him in with them. They'll teach him manners.
No, I’m brand new at this. I have a second young cockerel (I think) that gets along well

Back
Top Bottom