Having a tick problem.

66fastback

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
I live out in the country on 31 acres, mostly woods, bout two acres cleared/mowed. I've had a tick problem for years, some summers are better or worse depending on how you look at it. I use Diasenion(spelling?) granuals broadcast to help keep them at bay. Some times the broadcast keeps them at bay for a couple of weeks or more. I chose to get chickens to help control the ticks and have the eggs as a bonus plus general bug control. My girls free roam my property and have good pickins on available food. Now the question...can i continue to broadcast without harm to my girls? Or should I keep them couped up in their coop/run for a couple of days till the Diasenion become inert, then go back to normal. They do eat the ticks I think, but if I don't do something in the next few weeks I'm going to be in trouble and the last thing I want is to hurt my girls. Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

I wouldn't put the granules down. I think the pesticides are worse than the ticks to humans. Get you some guienas.

Last edited:
thought about guienas but I don't know if the breeds would get along. I have alot of predators and the Guienas would have to roost outside. I just walked out side with my Q-beam and saw a racoon, and last night was a really healthy coyote at an easy pickins of forty yards.

I'm interested in following this to see what other ideas people come up with. I only have about an acre, most of which is fenced and where my chickens will be foraging once they are a bit bigger. Like you, I got my chickens partly for tick/bug control and with the eggs as an added bonus.

I get what maddog said about the granules possibly being more harmful than the ticks, but... I have a unique allergy called Alpha-Gal, which is that I have an allergic reaction to the carbohydrate alpha-galactose. This substance is found in all mammals except for humans and certain primates. The allergy is caused by a tick bite. Here in the United States, the Lone Star tick is a known culprit for causing Alpha-Gal allergy. My mother has this allergy as well, and I am on a mission to control the ticks in my yard because I am terrified that my 2-year-old daughter (who loves to play outside) will get bit and develop the allergy as well.

So, tick control is a top priority for me.

Back
Top Bottom