Pest Control

KayChickMom29

Chirping
Mar 5, 2024
Franklin, VA
Hi all, I'm in the Southampton, VA area. I have Fox Pest Control come out every couple months to treat my yard for pests, and they say what they use is animal friendly. I've got dogs that roam all over the backyard and sometimes my cats think they belong outside. Non-issue there, BUT I'm new to raising baby chicks. I want to know if anyone has had problems with their chickens and pest treated lawns? (P.S. my chicks haven't even moved outside yet, they're only 2 weeks old. I'm just trying to prepare)

We haven't had problems yet, but we usually ask pest control to avoid the chicken coop and the area around it just to be safe. Birds are a little more susceptible to ill effects from breathing in chemicals, so I'm a little extra cautious, but they should be ok when they're older, especially if their area is not sprayed.

Last edited:
We haven't had problems yet, but we usually ask pest control to avoid the chicken coop and the area around it just to be safe. Birds are a little more susceptible ill effects from breathing in chemicals, so I'm a little extra cautious, but they should be ok when they're older, especially if their area is not sprayed.
Oh ok great! Our animals usually aren't allowed in the yard until it dries, but they also don't really try to eat too much out of the yard. I know that won't be the case with chickens!

Since your chicks are still young and haven't been outside yet, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on them once they start exploring the yard just to be safe.

Since your chicks are still young and haven't been outside yet, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on them once they start exploring the yard just to be safe.
They've moved outside now (for about 3-4 weeks at this point). They're 8 weeks old today. They haven't roamed the whole yard, but they do get into their designated grass outside the coop area. So far, I don't think there's been any issues.

Back
Top Bottom