Pesky mosquitoes

Hollysaurus

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Idaho
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! Just wanted some tips on Mosquitos. We have 4 chickens and an Emu.
I've seen these 3 products and I'm wondering if anyone else has used them? They come highly recommended for pets.

Wondercide: Outdoor Pest control; safe for people & animals.
Wondercide Link Here

Mighty Mint: Insect & Pest Control; safe for people & animals.
Mighty Mint Link Here

Tougher Than Tom: Mosquito TNT; hanging buckets. Safe for people & animals.
Tougher Than Tom Link Here

Even though our city sprays we have a few mosquitoes in our garden. I've been bitten a few times lately and I sometimes get a reaction from them. I think it was our own fault. We bought a mister and it created standing water. Mister has been off now for at least a week or so. We're also house renovating and we're waiting for grass to be put down in the back garden so the muddy ground doesn't help!

I noticed our chicken coop has a few Mosquitoes in there recently and wanted to give it a good spray with something. I know Mosquitoes hate mint products.

I thought I was being bitten when I was taking the dog for a walk; since I walk next to a cannel. But our garden has a good few! The buggers could be getting to my legs when I go for eggs. Bloody pests.

Thanks in advance!

I have Wondercide for the dog but I haven’t used it yet :oops: 🤣 I got it for the ticks but yeah. My friend uses it though and likes it. But again, for dogs. Never tried it for chickens. I’d be careful spraying anything with a strong fragrance near them. They have very sensitive respiratory systems.

Is it possible to use your own mosquito spray service? We hire a company to come spray our yard. We don’t use the chemicals though, ours is natural cedar oil I think? Supposed to be safe for the animals and everything. Just have to let it dry for an hour or so after they spray. But yeah. Something like that might be better and easier. But then again it’s also probably a lot more expensive. And we still have some mosquitoes but just nowhere near as many as without and no ticks either.

I have Wondercide for the dog but I haven’t used it yet :oops: 🤣 I got it for the ticks but yeah. My friend uses it though and likes it. But again, for dogs. Never tried it for chickens. I’d be careful spraying anything with a strong fragrance near them. They have very sensitive respiratory systems.

Is it possible to use your own mosquito spray service? We hire a company to come spray our yard. We don’t use the chemicals though, ours is natural cedar oil I think? Supposed to be safe for the animals and everything. Just have to let it dry for an hour or so after they spray. But yeah. Something like that might be better and easier. But then again it’s also probably a lot more expensive. And we still have some mosquitoes but just nowhere near as many as without and no ticks either.
Yeah I thought as much with the respiratory issues chickens get.

Though the products are mint based; so I thought they wouldn't have much of an issue? Since VetrX, etc that people use on chickens are also mint based?

So hard when it comes to birds! haha. They say "pets" but they don't usually take into account people have birds as pets too! I hope I can find something. We do have a local service so I can always give them a call too. But just as you said, would be more expensive. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom