1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Having Bantams with Normal hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Megan622, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Megan622

Megan622 New Egg

Feb 13, 2009
    My dad has chickens. We would like more but he says no bantams. But if we were to get some would they be able to be places with our other hens. We know about the pecking order. They will stay in the house until they are able to go outside. And then we will build their own coop till they are big enough to be placed witht he ones we have. All in all would it be ok to have bantams with our larger hens?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yes it will work fine.

3. Jonathanq1

Jonathanq1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Delaware
    I have never crossed them. Let me know how it goes.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Often what bantams lack in size they more than make up in attitude! You may find your bantams near the top of the pecking order in your flock.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sunny makes a good point.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ive had OEG bantam roos that could whoop up on a Dominique roo 3 times his size. It was great entertainment. [​IMG]

7. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:So true lol! I have a black rosecomb bantam that has actually jumped on my rir roos back and pecked him in the back of the head so he could be the first one to the water in the morning lol
    ETA: who do you think got the first sip of water?? yep. the banty.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Oh, I'm so glad that I found this thread! I want to get at least one standard size chicken, but it would be housed with our two banties. I didn't know if this was even possible.

Should a person have more than one standard if it's going to be with the banty hens? (we have all hens if that makes a difference...can't have roo's because our next door neighbors will complain [​IMG]).

9. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I have 4 standards and 1 bantam and she's fine... they all get along and all get enough food and what not. I guess it does depend on the personality of the bird...

10. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    My neighbor has a mix of bantys and full sized. They all free range, often all over the neighborhood, and they all seem happy and fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by