Having Bantams with Normal hens?

Quote:
Oh, don't ask US, we'll all insist that you have dozens & dozens of hens, both compact & full-sized models!

But really, you should be able to keep just one standard with 2 bantams, I don't think she'd feel any different just because she was bigger.

Well, we just got back from the feed store (I had to purchase some oyster shell) and when we walked into the back, we heard chirping. We left with two standard size EE's. My daughters wanted them so bad and I have been wanting more chickens, so it was a perfect opportunity to tell them that if they wanted them, then they would have to pay for them, the feed and a new waterer. They were ECSTATIC!

When the time comes to introduce them to the banties, I'll post an update.

I have 5 banties with 11 large breed hens, all the banties came after the others. They have all done very well. After the pecking order was established, they all eat, sleep, lay and scratch in harmony.
Sue

I would just be careful not to put a huge rooster in with tiny hens, for saftey. Unless you want chicken pankcakes
tongue.png

i have two black rosecomb banthams with about 18 full sized hens they all do well togeather the little girls take no crap from the big girls i love my little girls they make the cutiest sounds

I have 2 bantam hens in with 5 standard pullets and hens. They do just fine! What I am wondering about is introducing very small bantam roo... any thoughts on him in with the standard hens?

Quote:
A bantam roo with standard hens will be just fine.
smile.png

And yes you can house standards, and bantam chicks together. As long as they are close to the same size, and or age.

It's OK to have banty roos with standard hens but not the opposite. A standard roo will injure a banty hen of he tries to mate her.

I've got a small urban flock of 3 standards and a banty. The bany holds her own against the bigger girls. They steal her food most of the time but she's learning how to use her big rump as a "wall" when she was food the big girls want.

At the end of this month I'm getting a polish and 2 standard chicks. If raised together, all are fine.

I am glad I found this thread today because I have been wondering about this. My local feed store is getting in bantams today and I have no willpower
lol.png
Those little fluffy sweeties get me every time!

Back
Top Bottom