Having Chickens While Pregnant.

Presto

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 25, 2008
Some where East on L.I.N.Y.
Hi everyone, I have a questions about keeping chickens while being pregnant, are there any dangers I should be aware of? I am not pregnant yet but we are trying & my DH brought that up last night.
I have to be very careful being pregnant.
sad.png

I don't know any reason why you can't be around chickens while pregnant. The same rules apply with them as with any other animal. Wash your hands, try not to inhale dust particles, practice biosecurity when in contact with fecal matter.

Edited to add -- I have kids ages 21, 10 and 2 - always had chickens, never had any problems.

I have never heard of any chicken/pregnancy issues.

For hundreds of years, tending the chickens has been "womens work." I imagine women have spent a lot of time caring for chickens while pregnant, and I would think that any dangers would be well known.

But it is probably best to ask your doctor or another source of good pregnancy information.

Hi Laura, Yes I will defintley be talking with my doctor I just want some Info from the "Chicken Guru's" on here before I go & talk with my doctor, Some of these doctors feel you shouldnt have any animals! I met one....

When I was pregnant I owned chickens. Just follow the rules that you should anyway - washing hands, dustmask if cleaning coop(in that case your BACK is more at risk).

The difficulty comes AFTER the little squirt is born and you barely have time to LOOK at your chickens(at least for the 1st couple of months)!

I would probably (but I am super paranoid and almost lost all 3 of my kids) wear a mask at least in the hen house/coop. I always panicked about what I was breathing.......dust, fumes, etc.

* Ammonia might be the biggest *potential* problem. The rest are good common sense precautions. Cat's litter is more of a risk, as far as know. Sad for your loss & hope all goes well this time. Look into vitamin k a little bit, too-- just a thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom