Having confused chickens-and one ran off!

robyn66

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
New Hampshire
We had to dispatch our rooster. He was too violent toward our family and he was tearing up the other chickens. My daughters and I were heartbroken but fortunately my husband was raised with chickens so he doesn't get attached and is an expert at killing a chicken quickly and as painless as possible.

We knew there would be confusion after he was gone but we were pretty sure who would take over as alpha. She did and it was weird because she was trying to crow to get the other hens to come to her. We figured this was pretty normal so we hoped they would settle down in a few days.

Monday, the chickens were let out to free range as usual but our "alpha" disappeared and we haven't been able to find her. From what I understand, she saw a flock of turkey hens in our yard and kind of worked her way over to them and then she was gone.

I dont know if she left with the turkeys, I dont know if that is a thing. We have been all through the woods, at our neighbors and are still looking for her. We do have foxes and bears and everything around but we didn't see any feathers or evidence of a struggle anywhere. We keep hoping we will find her but we are not very hopeful.

Meanwhile my four poor little hens have been huddling together for the last few days. They are still laying but I am worried about them and am not sure what to do. We are not going to try free ranging them for a couple of days so they can get their bearings that they are all that is left. Their backs are healing-so that is good but I was wondering if we should try and get a couple of adult hens to add to the group. I dont want them to start beating on our current hens and I suppose at this point I have to just let them settle down and get used to being 4 instead of 6.

Does anyone have any tips to help them through? Should I bring in more birds? Do you think it is likely our hen will come home. We knew there would be confusion but this is terrible!

I am wondering if maybe she left with the flock of turkeys?As it seems chickens do unexplainable things(but I seriously think they would attack her,it’s very likely hey killed her escpecially if you seen her heading their direction)I have had hens disappear,with absolutely no struggle no feathers and to never be found again,maybe she wandered into someone elses yard.

I am wondering if maybe she left with the flock of turkeys?As it seems chickens do unexplainable things(but I seriously think they would attack her,it’s very likely hey killed her escpecially if you seen her heading their direction)I have had hens disappear,with absolutely no struggle no feathers and to never be found again,maybe she wandered into someone elses yard.
So far she isn't to be found. We have hawks and bald eagles too. One of them could have snatched her up. :(

We had to dispatch our rooster. He was too violent toward our family and he was tearing up the other chickens. My daughters and I were heartbroken but fortunately my husband was raised with chickens so he doesn't get attached and is an expert at killing a chicken quickly and as painless as possible.

We knew there would be confusion after he was gone but we were pretty sure who would take over as alpha. She did and it was weird because she was trying to crow to get the other hens to come to her. We figured this was pretty normal so we hoped they would settle down in a few days.

Monday, the chickens were let out to free range as usual but our "alpha" disappeared and we haven't been able to find her. From what I understand, she saw a flock of turkey hens in our yard and kind of worked her way over to them and then she was gone.

I dont know if she left with the turkeys, I dont know if that is a thing. We have been all through the woods, at our neighbors and are still looking for her. We do have foxes and bears and everything around but we didn't see any feathers or evidence of a struggle anywhere. We keep hoping we will find her but we are not very hopeful.

Meanwhile my four poor little hens have been huddling together for the last few days. They are still laying but I am worried about them and am not sure what to do. We are not going to try free ranging them for a couple of days so they can get their bearings that they are all that is left. Their backs are healing-so that is good but I was wondering if we should try and get a couple of adult hens to add to the group. I dont want them to start beating on our current hens and I suppose at this point I have to just let them settle down and get used to being 4 instead of 6.

Does anyone have any tips to help them through? Should I bring in more birds? Do you think it is likely our hen will come home. We knew there would be confusion but this is terrible!
I think it would be best to NOT try to add strange chickens to your flock at this time. They are stressed enough right now. Integrating new chickens is hard enough with a "well adjusted" flock, let alone one with stress issues. I'd feed them properly and let them calm down and get used to their new demographics for a few weeks before deciding to make any changes. If your other hen has not come home in a day or two, she won't. She either was claimed by someone or she became dinner for an predator. Good luck, you have a glass of wine and relax too!
:frow

I think it would be best to NOT try to add strange chickens to your flock at this time. They are stressed enough right now. Integrating new chickens is hard enough with a "well adjusted" flock, let alone one with stress issues. I'd feed them properly and let them calm down and get used to their new demographics for a few weeks before deciding to make any changes. If your other hen has not come home in a day or two, she won't. She either was claimed by someone or she became dinner for an predator.
This^^^
I suppose there's a chance she's setting on a nest out there somewhere, but I wouldn't count on it.

Back
Top Bottom