Having Frostbite issues. Ventilation?

Anethema

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
Northern BC, Canada
Hey everyone.

I'm in Northern Canada and after a -40(f/c same) cold snap, I've found my 2 roosters and 1 hen with a bigger comb has some pretty bad frostbite.

From doing some reading I don't have proper ventilation.

The coops are 8x12' and have a 7 foot high ceiling which I believe is insulated (I didn't build the coops). The eaves are fully open except for wire, but those only open to the 'attic'

The ceiling has a few like 1"x4' slits where the paneling that makes it didn't fully overlap but that is essentially all the contact the main room has with the ventilated attic.

So obviously I don't have near enough ventilation.

The question now is: What do I do ?

Should I just rip the ceiling right out so they have the open eaves? Should I cut ventilation holes in the main room at the ceiling level? Is -40 too cold without some kind of heat (in addition to needing the ventilation of course)?

I'll snap some pics shortly to give everyone a better idea.

EDIT: Here is an album https://imgur.com/gallery/cY61i

Thanks!

Last edited:
@Wickedchicken6 lives in Canada, @aart, can u help give advise.
I've been told by someone that us Southerners don't understand ventilation needed up north.

I think you have to open that ceiling! Let's see if we can get some more members up north to help.
Oh boy.:th You're really going to bring me into this discussion?? :gig

PLEASE READ: Before I post anything on this thread, I wish to say that anything I'm about to post in this thread "WORKS FOR ME." Please know I'M NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE FOLLOW WHAT I'M DOING without considering any risks of what may be involved. If you are a new chicken owner, please know I was raised on a farm and have farmed since graduation for a total of 45 years. We farm full time; I have extensive experience with sheep, cattle and hogs...and to a slightly lesser degree rabbits and chickens. So please know this is not my first gig.

I'm aware I do things differently than others and the widely accepted husbandry methods, which is why I have a disclaimer in my signature. It's for comedic relief, but it is also true.

If I'm writing this, I might as well put it all out there to address any questions.

Yes, I've have chickens since mid 2015, so I've kept them through 3 winters. They are a wide variety of sizes from the smallest Old English Game Bantam to the largest Marans/EE rooster.

I don't follow the space requirements. I don't follow the stocking requirements. I don't so much follow the roost requirements and I don't follow the venting requirements.

I currently have approximately 90-100 chickens (I'm not sure if this includes the roosters) and 23 guineas in a 12 x 20 garage. It is not insulated; it's an OLD wooden building, the exterior is sided and the roof has been tinned. There is venting on the front and there is air movement up the ribs of the tin through the cracks in the boards. By standards, it is less than acceptable. When it gets cold or excessively windy, I close most of the venting. There is a thick layer of frost on the walls and the roof. I never have to worry about picking; there is zero picking. I feed raw eggs. I believe it covers their protein and nutrient requirements they require.

It's right in the open for all the winds to catch it.
20180101_163709.jpg

I have approximately 40 roosters in a very large tractor shed. The shed is not insulated. It's a wooden building that's been tinned. Not ideal for chickens either. It is not airtight by any means; it has ducting cut into the north side for the mill and the doors are not weather stripped. When it's windy you can feel air movement on your face.

Yes, it's a mess in there.

20180106_172349.jpg

1st year: All chickens were together in the car garage. I "tried" keeping down humidity in the coop with two small forced air shop heaters. Laughable...so gave up the effort. Minimal frostbite if any. (I don't remember there being any.) Many days outside were 90%-100% humidity.

2nd year: Hens and some roosters were kept in the car garage. There was very little is any frostbite. This building is definitely warmer than the rooster shed. The chicks hatched prior to Nov 3 were kept in the back. Four were brought into the house and kept in a kennel during winter. They were from the hatches that experienced the issues.

Roosters kept in the tractor shed. There was frostbite in the roosters and a few got their toes touched. They were likely roosting on the metal equipment. I hatched chicks up until November 3. We dropped from 8 C to -25 C at Christmas. Zero losses. The youngest chicks had one 250 heat lamp and they all survived the winter.

There were several roosters with large straight combs that didn't experience frostbite at all last winter. Here's some of them this spring. That's the metal cage they roost on.:rolleyes: They are the subordinate roosters.

The one with the red arrow is the chick I missed last year when I was moving the chicks and he spent a few days in the box; no food, no water and no heat.
20170527_210424marked2.jpg

3rd year: 90-100 hens and bantam roosters, and 3 EE roosters with the 23 PITA guineas kept in the car garage. Brought the youngest pullet chick in because she wasn't competing well.(OEGB pullet) I brought 2 bantam roosters into the house kennel on the third day of the cold -35 C actual temps. And I provided a 175 heat lamp for the guineas. (Laughable) Must get hubby to change it to a 250. Very minimal frostbite. I did freeze my toes though.

My coop as it was for the cold snap. The venting is along the top, the plastic can be opened up.
20180101_163830.jpg

Biggest area of ventilation is where they pecked the plastic. They like to pick the frost. :confused:

Inside the coop. We use fence posts instead of boards. Impossible to poop on. Boards collect too much. I've observed the birds seem to curl their toes inwards regardless; both on boards and posts.
20180102_042144.jpg

20180102_042325.jpg

Worst case of frostbite. I still have the metal feeders and this group of roosters like to eat at it. I think the metal feeders are the WORST! I took the one out of the rooster shed...they eat out of cheap, plastic dog dishes. Much better.
20180101_164036.jpg

97% of the roosters...no frostbite. He was touched from last year.
Only 3 had the tips touched in the cold snap.
20180101_164003.jpg

40 roosters in the tractor shed experienced some frostbite and two were experiencing discomfort with their feet. (-35 C actual) I brought in 3 OEGB roosters and one cull EE on the third day as well. I don't have pics of the frostbite...but can get some. I don't like seeing frostbite.

Cracked out the infrared shop heater for the remaining roosters. Only the Silkies were smart enough to use it.One Silkie was feeling the cold...so the heater worked for him. I provided cardboard for the roosters standing on the metal inclosure. Most refused to use it. There were no frozen feeton the roosters, even the ones who roost on the metal.

I froze my fingers, my feet and was chilled for a day...lol.

20180106_172349.jpg

The above pic is of the roosters in the nice weather than followed the cold snap. I leave the door open if it's nice like -10 and sunny. They like the sun. They are ready for night in this pic.

1) For me, from what I've seen...my theory is the hens have higher humidity but the building's warmer due to all the birds in the smaller area. Little to no frostbite, even on rooster combs.

The roosters get worse frostbite in this shed, it's dryer but it's colder. I'm wearing insulated winter gear and I'd pick the hen coop any day over the rooster shed, regardless of humidity.

2) When it is SO cold out (-30 C to -45 C) the humidity is frozen. For me, humidities not a factor UNLESS it warms up. I find I'm opening the venting up with the idea I "should" and then they get touched. Last year the roosters made it most of the way through the cold, only to get some frostbite in the spring in the warmer -15 to -20 weather.

3) Humidity. I grew up with a Grandfather who moved the cows into the barn for calving. The roof was always wet. But the barn was warm and there were no frozen ears.

I've never had a barn for my sheep. They had a calf shelter and I had a 10x12 for lambing. The enclosure we built for 7 ended up having to accommodate over 70 bred ewes and their lambs. I "could" fit 5 ewes with lambs in there to lamb, 6 if I was creative. My building was always wet. My lambs were always fine.

For me (please note this carefully) I've never had issues with the flock while having humidity in their building. :idunno I think with 3 winters under my belt I can say this with confidence now.

This is the first winter any birds have been let outside in the nice weather. I have no run, but we have an electric fence up and there's been very little snow.

My most important piece of advice is to SELECT AND RAISE THE VERY TOUGHEST, BEST DOING birds. That's the key to everything, for any animal across the board. That's my #1 most important advice. I don't feel this is followed anywhere close to enough. This is incredibly important. I'm speaking from experience finding breeders who breed the animals (bulls and rams) we use for breeding stock as well.

For chickens it's fine to have pets...(I have some myself) Don't breed those weaker birds unless you're breeding to much tougher stock. If you're buying chicks...find someone who makes this a priority. You may have a hard time finding such breeders. Everything we raise; cattle and sheep have open buildings, no barns. My horse has only trees, no building. The stubborn thing wouldn't use it anyway. She's 34 and she laughs at us in this cold weather.

It dropped from -1 C yesterday morning to -24 C last night. I should probably go out and see the chickens and feed them...lol. I apologize for the length of this post. :)

Edited to add...I see I didn't post some pictures I attached. The pics are of the frost on the roof. It's not bad there compared to what it was a couple of days ago. It also shows the silly OEGBs that are determined to roost of the metal door track. Still no frozen feet though. I won't trim wings anymore...it leaves them too vunerable in predator attacks. Found that out with the guineas. :hmm
20180101_165846.jpg

20180101_164532.jpg

Attachments

• 20180101_163709.jpg
    20180101_163709.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You could probably use more ventilation. I wouldn't throw out the guidelines that people share of ventilation and floor space. Without enough floor space, over crowding can cause some serious problems - especially in the winter in colder climates where they tend to stay inside more often.

Even with proper ventilation it sometimes is just so cold that larger combed birds will get frostbite.

This may sound like a crazy question, but, why do you want to live in such a cold part of the world?
I was born and raised here...lol. We've acclimated to the weather here, just like you've acclimated to your hot weather there.

I'll take this cold over your heat any day. :D I can't handle the heat. Please DON'T make me go to Mexico. We can get as hot as 35 C in the summer. I'm still in a t-shirt in the yard in -15 C weather to grab something quick. It's currently -28 C right now...and I'm only wearing a sweater to go out to go home. (We're supposed to get down to -31 tonight.) That's just life here.:confused:

Hey guys! Thanks for all the amazing replies. Once this cold snap passes, I am going to open that ceiling up and try more ventilation. Hopefully that will help those poor guys :(

As to why I live here:

1. I enjoy the winter for the most part, I just can't stand to see animals suffer, esp when they keep pooping out eggs for me. I love skidooing and playing in the snow with the dogs. I looove looking out the window from my wood heated house at a winter wonderland sparkling in the sun outside.

2. I sold my house in 'sunny' southern BC (in brackets because you don't see the sun 8 months a year, but the other 4 are super sunny. Here it is mostly sunny all the time). It was a small older place. I used that money to buy 160 acres up here. I've got chickens, horses, and my own private forest pond and hiking trails. All for $250k. In the process my wage more than doubled.

It seemed like a no-brainer to me :D

More the ventilation the better I always say, I don't even shut the pop door and don't worry about drafts. We're typically in the 20s F down to single digits and sometimes weeks of negative zero temps with -20 to -30F windchill. Coldest so far this winter -17F and only minor frostbite on roosters combs.
Now your -40 :eek: I have no experience with -40 :eek:
I can't even imagine. Might as well live inside a chest freezer, it'd be warmer Lol!
Lot's of threads on BYC on cold weather tips, starting to think maybe there needs to be one on super duper colder than ice temps.

PLEASE READ: Before I post anything on this thread, I wish to say that anything I'm about to post in this thread "WORKS FOR ME." Please know I'M NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE FOLLOW WHAT I'M DOING without considering any risks of what may be involved. If you are a new chicken owner, please know I was raised on a farm and have farmed since graduation for a total of 45 years. We farm full time; I have extensive experience with sheep, cattle and hogs...and to a slightly lesser degree rabbits and chickens. So please know this is not my first gig.

I'm aware I do things differently than others and the widely accepted husbandry methods, which is why I have a disclaimer in my signature. It's for comedic relief, but it is also true.

If I'm writing this, I might as well put it all out there to address any questions.

Yes, I've have chickens since mid 2015, so I've kept them through 3 winters. They are a wide variety of sizes from the smallest Old English Game Bantam to the largest Marans/EE rooster.

I don't follow the space requirements. I don't follow the stocking requirements. I don't so much follow the roost requirements and I don't follow the venting requirements.

I currently have approximately 90-100 chickens (I'm not sure if this includes the roosters) and 23 guineas in a 12 x 20 garage. It is not insulated; it's an OLD wooden building, the exterior is sided and the roof has been tinned. There is venting on the front and there is air movement up the ribs of the tin through the cracks in the boards. By standards, it is less than acceptable. When it gets cold or excessively windy, I close most of the venting. There is a thick layer of frost on the walls and the roof. I never have to worry about picking; there is zero picking. I feed raw eggs. I believe it covers their protein and nutrient requirements they require.

View attachment 1233287

I have approximately 40 roosters in a very large tractor shed. The shed is not insulated. It's a wooden building that's been tinned. Not ideal for chickens either. It is not airtight by any means; it has ducting cut into the north side for the mill and the doors are not weather stripped. When it's windy you can feel air movement on your face.

View attachment 1233305

1st year: All chickens were together in the car garage. I "tried" keeping down humidity in the coop with two small forced air shop heaters. Laughable...so gave up the effort. Minimal frostbite if any. (I don't remember there being any.) Many days outside were 90%-100% humidity.

2nd year: Hens and some roosters were kept in the car garage. There was very little is any frostbite. This building is definitely warmer than the rooster shed. The chicks hatched prior to Nov 3 were kept in the back. Four were brought into the house and kept in a kennel during winter. They were from the hatches that experienced the issues.

Roosters kept in the tractor shed. There was frostbite in the roosters and a few got their toes touched. They were likely roosting on the metal equipment. I hatched chicks up until November 3. We dropped from 8 C to -25 C at Christmas. Zero losses. The youngest chicks had one 250 heat lamp and they all survived the winter.

There were several roosters with large straight combs that didn't experience frostbite at all last winter. Here's some of them this spring. That's the metal cage they roost on.:rolleyes: They are the subordinate roosters.

The one with the red arrow is the chick I missed last year when I was moving the chicks and he spent a few days in the box; no food, no water and no heat.
View attachment 1233272

3rd year: 90-100 hens and bantam roosters, and 3 EE roosters with the 23 PITA guineas kept in the car garage. Brought the youngest pullet chick in because she wasn't competing well.(OEGB pullet) I brought 2 bantam roosters into the house kennel on the third day of the cold -35 C actual temps. And I provided a 175 heat lamp for the guineas. (Laughable) Must get hubby to change it to a 250. Very minimal frostbite. I did freeze my toes though.

My coop as it was for the cold snap. The venting is along the top, the plastic can be opened up.
View attachment 1233309

Biggest area of ventilation is where they pecked the plastic. They like to pick the frost. :confused:

Inside the coop. We use fence posts instead of boards. Impossible to poop on. Boards collect too much. I've observed the birds seem to curl their toes inwards regardless; both on boards and posts.
View attachment 1233297

View attachment 1233294

Worst case of frostbite. I still have the metal feeders and this group of roosters like to eat at it. I think the metal feeders are the WORST! I took the one out of the rooster shed...they eat out of cheap, plastic dog dishes. Much better.
View attachment 1233296

View attachment 1233321

40 roosters in the tractor shed experienced some frostbite and two were experiencing discomfort with their feet. (-35 C actual) I brought in 3 OEGB roosters and one cull EE on the third day as well. I don't have pics of the frostbite...but can get some. I don't like seeing frostbite.

Cracked out the infrared shop heater for the remaining roosters. Only the Silkies were smart enough to use it.One Silkie was feeling the cold...so the heater worked for him. I provided cardboard for the roosters standing on the metal inclosure. Most refused to use it. There were no frozen feeton the roosters, even the ones who roost on the metal.

View attachment 1233305

The above pic is of the roosters in the nice weather than followed the cold snap. I leave the door open if it's nice like -10 and sunny. They like the sun. They are ready for night in this pic.

1) For me, from what I've seen...my theory is the hens have higher humidity but the building's warmer due to all the birds in the smaller area. Little to no frostbite, even on rooster combs.

The roosters get worse frostbite in this shed, it's dryer but it's colder. I'm wearing insulated winter gear and I'd pick the hen coop any day over the rooster shed, regardless of humidity.

2) When it is SO cold out (-30 C to -45 C) the humidity is frozen. For me, humidities not a factor UNLESS it warms up. I find I'm opening the venting up with the idea I "should" and then they get touched. Last year the roosters made it most of the way through the cold, only to get some frostbite in the spring in the warmer -15 to -20 weather.

3) Humidity. I grew up with a Grandfather who moved the cows into the barn for calving. The roof was always wet. But the barn was warm and there were no frozen ears.

I've never had a barn for my sheep. They had a calf shelter and I had a 10x12 for lambing. The enclosure we built for 7 ended up having to accommodate over 70 bred ewes and their lambs. I "could" fit 5 ewes with lambs in there to lamb, 6 if I was creative. My building was always wet. My lambs were always fine.

For me (please note this carefully) I've never had issues with the flock while having humidity in their building. :idunno I think with 3 winters under my belt I can say this with confidence now.

This is the first winter any birds have been let outside in the nice weather. I have no run, but we have an electric fence up and there's been very little snow.

My most important piece of advice is to SELECT AND RAISE THE VERY TOUGHEST, BEST DOING birds. That's the key to everything, for any animal across the board. That's my #1 most important advice. I don't feel this is followed anywhere close to enough. This is incredibly important. I'm speaking from experience finding breeders who breed the animals (bulls and rams) we use for breeding stock as well.

For chickens it's fine to have pets...(I have some myself) Don't breed those weaker birds unless you're breeding to much tougher stock. If you're buying chicks...find someone who makes this a priority. You may have a hard time finding such breeders. Everything we raise; cattle and sheep have open buildings, no barns. My horse has only trees, no building. The stubborn thing wouldn't use it anyway. She's 34 and she laughs at us in this cold weather.

It dropped from -1 C yesterday morning to -24 C last night. I should probably go out and see the chickens and feed them...lol. I apologize for the length of this post. :)

Edited to add...I see I didn't post some pictures I attached. The pics are of the frost on the roof. It's not bad there compared to what it was a couple of days ago. It also shows the silly OEGBs that are determined to roost of the metal door track. Still no frozen feet though. I won't trim wings anymore...it leaves them too vunerable in predator attacks. Found that out with the guineas. :hmm
View attachment 1233333

View attachment 1233298

Thank you @Wickedchicken6, I appreciate you taking so much time to explain & show your set up. You have got some hardy birds there!

View attachment 1233287

View attachment 1233305

View attachment 1233272

View attachment 1233309

View attachment 1233297

View attachment 1233294

View attachment 1233296

View attachment 1233321

View attachment 1233305

View attachment 1233333

View attachment 1233298
So do you use almost no ventilation in winter then? Sorry if I misunderstood!

I did try heating it at first.
I don't heat my coop now, the girls provide enough heat themselves to keep it warm enough for the most part. Minus temps actual in the 40s is incredibly harsh. I have never had to deal with -50 C actual temps.
It can get that cold here with the windchill...but the birds are not in the wind.:gig

This may sound like a crazy question, but, why do you want to live in such a cold part of the world?

Back
Top Bottom