Having issues with a rooster

7greathens

Hatching
Sep 27, 2020
Hello everyone. Need some advice. I started a 2nd coop. Have 7 hens. Got a rooster that is now 7 months old. He is starting to crow. I introduced him 2 months ago 2 the hens. They pecked him big time. I removed him to let him get better. He has healed so I put him back in last night. I came out to check them and they pecked on him again. I think I know which hen doesnt like him. I have him running free again. I have a older rooster in my first coop. Do you think I shld put the older one in the new coop and the younger one in in the older coop. I really like my roosters. I did not have this issue with my first rooster. Advice please.

twice they did on him. So I removed him. His feathers grew back. So I put him in last night. Hes gotten bigger. Again, This morning they pecked his back. I dont want him by himself

Older hens aren't going to like a teenager right off the bat. He may need to grow up some first. How does your rooster react to him?
I have not put the older rooster and younger one in same coop. But the boy stays close to the older hens . He wont go near the younger coop

Try using a 'see but don't touch' method on them. Fence off some of the run with chicken wire or hardware cloth, so that they can all see eachother but he can't access them.

Is it possible to free range them all safely? You mention him running free. I experience few issues integrating using that method. I would not force them together until the pecking order seems established. For me it seems all is well after about two months in my situation, there is plenty of room to escape aggressive behaviors but I do force a single food water point for them all. In that way as they can always find their own food or help me out by eating the grass. Also they can always get back to the feed station at a better time too.

7 months old rooster should be mature enough to take over any hen. Picking his back feathers is not part of the pecking order. Feather picking is a problem when chickens are enclosed, or missing certain vitamins (ingredients) from their diet. Normally they will eat other chickens back feathers and the feathers around the tail. It can get so severe, they can draw blood. Plenty of grass and sunflower seeds can solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom