Having issues with flooring.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pringle, Sep 24, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I live in new england....so it gets cold!I plan on making 2 4by3 ft pens,with a 4by3ft attached runs,its going to be off the ground about 5 ft.The run is going to have wire floor but im not to sure about the other part.The other part is going to be the actaul house.Should I just have a wood floor or a wire floor?Im thinking the wire floor is going to be cold in winter but can coturnix handle that?

2. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Anyone?Oh cmon,if you dont want my quail to die then answer if you dont them im going to call you a murderer [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Its A Compromise Situation--- Either Use Wire And It Wont Keep Them As Warm, Or Use Wood And Have To Clean It And Keep Bedding In There For Them--- Pick 1

4. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I guess id rather have em not suffer so ill pick wooden floor.how often should I clean the pens?every week?

5. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    If it were me i would use wire and then in the winter i would add some plywood or some cardboard to it so in the summer ya can take it out and its easy to take out and clean

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THERE'S A GOOD IDEA

7. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks

yup, yup! maybe find a way to put plywood under the wire close enough to block the wind from the bottom, but so that you can slide it out and dump it easily....quail poop A LOT!!! then, as already mentioned, just leave it out in the summer.

8. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV

yup, yup! maybe find a way to put plywood under the wire close enough to block the wind from the bottom, but so that you can slide it out and dump it easily....quail poop A LOT!!! then, as already mentioned, just leave it out in the summer.

That is what I'm doing one of these days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by