Having issues with the thought of culling roo

The rooster has to go. I dont want to give him away so someone else can eat him or enter him in a cock fight. Craiglist is not a good option! We need to cull him.... we have two baby roosters that are going to take his place.

I agree. With craigslist, who knows what would happen or if he would die in a humane way. With you doing it he will never see it coming and shouldn't feel any stress or pain if it is done quickly. If the hen has never laid right I can see your point about culling her too.

Hopefully you get a nice rooster this time! It can be tough especially with kids if they are too young to understand how to act around a rooster. This can bring out aggression in a otherwise calm rooster if he is confusing normal kid behavior as a threat to his ladies. My rooster has never challenged me but he did try to attack my husband once when he was younger. I think the rooster knew I was not a threat because I am their primary caregiver. I raised them, I feed them, clean the coop, etc. but he wasn't sure about what my husband's motives were. He has never repeated the bad behavior and I truly believe it is because we don't treat him like a pet any more. It is more of a relationship of mutual respect. I can pick him up anytime I want but he is not coddled, not hand fed.

Back
Top Bottom