Having my will re-done after the divorce

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by iread, Dec 9, 2009.

1. iread

iread Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have an appointment next week with my lawyer to have my will re-done after my divorce. I know the basics but I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to what I need to request. I just want to make sure that my children get my insurance $ and the ex and his old secretary/new wife don't! [​IMG] Any of you have experience with wills-- your own or a loved one's?

2. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    I by no means know anything about wills but I housesit for a lady that wrote a book called "All My Children Wear Fur Coats" It is about what to with your animals have you have passed on. I have read parts of it but not the whole thing and it sounds like a good book.

But again I am just giving a suggestion.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have a bit of knowledge of Wills and Probate(I am an unemployed paralegal) but am unfamiliar with the laws in your state.

What I can tell you is this-if you are unmarried and you pass away, ALL of your Estate will automatically pass on to your heirs(children). If however, you happen to remarry, it could get sticky for your children. PLEASE stipulate EXACTLY how you want your Estate divided to make it easier on the ones left behind. I have seen the truly ugly side of these Probate cases that can get stuck in court until all the money in the Estate has been paid to a lawyer.

Good luck to you!

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Wow you are not kidding. My DH died with out a will. and I have been in hell ever since. Fighting for what should have gone to our son has cost more than what he will ever get but since he is a minor I am obligated to fight for his money for his welfare.

My advise is be very specific, and explain your decisions if money is distribute un evenly this way they can see you had a reason for your decisions and they will be less hard to fight later by unhappy people if there are any. In addition make sure any pensions or benefit plans have who you want as the beneficiary. My DH forgot to put my name on his death benefits and the Union gave it to his mother instead of me. Also have all of your wishes for your burial and funeral laid out so no one has to try to figure out what you want and if you can, pay for it now as well. Also make sure you have at least 2 but better 3 options of who you want to raise your children if something happens to you. For example If I die my ds goes to my sister, but if we die together it gets more complicated as my parents are older so I have my best friend set to raise my son with shared custody with my parents if that is the case. I have also made trusts that will cover both my ds and whoever has to raise him so that my baby does not burden anyone.

5. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    the way dh and I have ours set up is that everything is to be sold and divided beween our two daughters. If I die he gets nothing it still goes to our dd's if he dies i get nothing it goes to our dd's except his life insurance through work 60,000.00 it goes to me if he dies on the job it doubles same as if he is on his way to work or from work. everything else goes to the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by