Having problems with hatching eggs?

foul man

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 17, 2016
Waycross ga
I've had my share of problems hatching eggs, but I've pretty much have it down to a science. 1st of all every time I try changing things around because of what I read is what messes me up. The biggest most important difference I'm gonna tell you is to set your incubator to 101. I've tried 99.5 and numerous other degrees, because of what I read. I'm hatching out 2nd batch this year's chicken eggs. First batch were strong healthy, and some hatched early at 101 degrees. Well everyone said it was to high so on the second batch lowered to 99.5. Well day 21 and no peeps. I got scared so I raised it bk to 101, and what do you know all are peeping now. Temperature was to low and if I had waited I might have lost them all.

They would still have hatched at 99.5, a degree and a half at those temperatures does not make a difference as to whether they live or die. 101 can work, but it causes them to grow faster and to hatch early as you have noticed, and sometimes because of this the higher temperature will cause them to grow too big for their shells, they will be unable to turn to zip and get out, and they will die unless you intervene.

Additionally, have you calibrated your thermometer? Maybe your temp really is too low when it is reading 99.5 - because maybe it's not really 99.5.

By the way, this is true for forced air only. If you are incubating still air, the temperature should be 101.5 degrees measured at the top of the eggs.

They would still have hatched at 99.5, a degree and a half at those temperatures does not make a difference as to whether they live or die. 101 can work, but it causes them to grow faster and to hatch early as you have noticed, and sometimes because of this the higher temperature will cause them to grow too big for their shells, they will be unable to turn to zip and get out, and they will die unless you intervene.

Additionally, have you calibrated your thermometer? Maybe your temp really is too low when it is reading 99.5 - because maybe it's not really 99.5.

By the way, this is true for forced air only. If you are incubating still air, the temperature should be 101.5 degrees measured at the top of the eggs.
Ditto what Pixis said. If you have an unchecked therm, that's the first thing I'd check and if you are using still air you need the higher temps.

I have forced, but I generally run between 100-101 on the average. I do normally have mine hatch out between days 19 and 20 and yes, they are always healthy. The one thing I have found with early pippers is they seem to take longer to go from pip to zip than the ones that are "on time" at day 21.

Back
Top Bottom