Having progressive pictures to help ID chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kendra and All: Once we have everything pretty much set up Nifty will help us with "getting the word out" to everyone.

I agree that I really like KellyGwens pictures on the first page of this thread. I will note, however, that I think we should use pictures with the lighter background. If you look at her second picture it's much harder to see the chick whereas the first and third pictures are perfect. I really like the black box around them and the age at the top of each picture.

I will make the suggestion that the birds all face to the right. I think it would be very helpful to have one full length body picture (making sure the legs are totally visable), one side head shot showing comb and wattles and one almost straight on head shot. Maybe we could do without the straight on head shot? Your thoughts?

I think the straight on head shot is pretty important for showing combs and their shapes, sizes and differences between the sexes.

Ok, then, if everyone agrees we will use three shots.

1) One full length
2) One side head shot
3) One straight on head shot

Good???

I don't think we'll need the side head shot as it will be in the full shot. I'm hoping that we can use large enough pics that that amount of detail will be easy to view
wink.png

I think we should do....

1) Full side shot
2) Aerial view (for markings)
3) Straight on head shot (comb etc)

and with some breeds, like Silkies
4) Foot shot

Last edited:
I will be getting some Serama eggs on Monday I will take progressive pics of them if nobody else is. I may also be getting some Giant Cochin eggs as well. And also wanted to add that if anyone had any questions on programming or any of that my hubby said he would help out. He's a computer expert/engineer. He has programmed A LONG time.

chickenboy8 - the first two are very good (the shirt worked fine
smile.png
). For the head shot, try to get the picture from the front (facing the chickens face) like you are looking directly into her eyes.

That's a beautiful chick! What is it?

Hey everyone,

I've been PMing a few of you and figured it would just be easier to talk about some of the stuff here.

I know we're taking pictures of a minimum 800 pixel size. What size, in inches, do we want to resize them to after their cropped or whatever needs to be done to the picture?

And then I think most of us really like using the black background with the white text that KellyGwen posted. Kelly, could you tell us how you do that so those of us doing the final picture formating know how?

We also need a common text style and size. Can you let us know what you used? If it's something everyone should have (like Arial or TimesNewRoman) I think we should just go with that.

Nifty, do we want final images in just jpg or can you use other common file types as well such as bmp and/or windows images (can't remember the abbreviation
smile.png
).

Once the photos are cropped and whatever we can make easily make thumbnails in photobucket. I think Guitartists and I are more than happy to cover that part.

Someone offered to help make folders in the photobucket albums to help us organize the photos. I can't remember who that was, sorry!!!! But if you're still up for that I'd really appreciate it. However you think it will be easiest to do. We'll just get bogged down pretty quickly if everything goes into one big folder!

We have a number of photos promised, but there are a bunch of common breeds not covered yet. Chirpy mentioned that the project might be mentioned in an upcoming newsletter, but if everyone could mention the project to people whenever you get a chance I think it would help.

Sorry this is so long. Just trying to get everything in one place. I think the details are what take the most time in a project like this!!!

Kendra

Ok people!!! Kendra has asked all the right questions ... we need you all to come back with all the right answers! We are getting so close to getting this up and running, we want this to be a group project so let's hear your input.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom