Having someone come out Friday to check my chickens; Pullorum-Typhoid.?

XavCas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
I have a couple of questions and it has been really worrying me lately. I have a vet coming out Friday morning who is going to check all my chickens and ducks ( for free. ) to see if they have any issues, and mainly Pullorum-Typhoid disease since I am showing in the fair this year. I was just worried because I wanted to see how common it was for a chicken / duck to have it.. and if you guys could give me a little bit more information on it.. and if mine may have it.? I take good care of them, and make sure everything is clean; coops, water, food, etc. And also if they do have it, do they have to be put down.? I would be devasted if they did... :/ I am just hoping everything goes well then. I am guessing since I found mine, they could have anything in their systems.. I HOPE they are all 100% though c:

Pullorum and Fowl Typhoid are now very rare in the US and have been eliminated in commercial flocks, as far as I know. According to my reading, the last outbreak of FT in the US was in 1980. Pullorum may still be found in some backyard flocks (I don't know the incidence) but I would not be concerned. You should ask the vet who comes to do the testing these questions... then get back to us!

Good luck!

Thank you, that makes me feel a little bit better; I think I am just worried because I found my chickens in front of my house.. a mom and her babies. I dont think they have ever had any shots or vaccinations or anything like that. The vet should be here any minute.

Back
Top Bottom