Having to rid my chickens and roosters

Austria414

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
Hello all!

So I have about 20 chickens and roosters mixed in.

We are having to move and I cannot take them with me. I live in an area that is huge on chicken fighting. I don't want to just give them away because they are our food source and pets. I love them dearly. Can anyone kind of give me an idea on how much I should sell them for? I figured asking for money would try to help deter away unwanted people. I have 10 cuckoo marans, they are 11 week old hens. 5 Easter laying hens and 4 rhodeisland red roosters.

Any info would help greatly. They are a great flock and would hate to see them go into a horrible situation.

Hi, welcome to BYC. I am so sorry that you have to rehome your flock.
Whenever I have chickens to rehome, I put an add on Craigslist that states, that I will require pictures of the space where they will be housed. I very clearly state that my roosters are gentle. When someone contacts me, I question them at length.
If they are still interested 😆 at that point, I feel better about rehoming.
Write down the questions that you want to ask before hand. Go with your instincts. You may have to interview many before you find a good home.
Good luck to you and your flock.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I agree with @janiedoe. I've done the same.
One other thing I would insist on is that the girls go as a pair at a minimum to ensure that they can integrate better into the flock. Sell them such that none leaves your property without one of the others. And pay attention to which ones seem to be buddies and send them off together.
I would not hesitate to ask for $10 each for the pullets and ask $5 for the cockerels. Once you are comfortable that the boys will not be fought and are going to a good home, you can waive the fee. I do that for all my mixed breed boys and all have gone on to be flock leaders.

Back
Top Bottom