Having trouble hatching Aylesbury duck eggs

Marisa_spencer

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
It’s now day 23 of hatching my Aylesbury duck eggs and it has a weird grey patch on the outside of the shell with a clear black dot in the middle .The inside of the egg doesn’t quite look right I have attached some photos can anyone tell me if you think the duck may still be alive?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 17
"Bruising" seems to be most common in duck eggs. I have seen others post when this happens to their duck eggs when they are trying to pip and it's generally close to where the bill is.
What are the average number of days for this breed to hatch?

It can also happen when a duckling passes in the egg, bursts a blood vessel, etc. All of these things just show more readily with duck eggs. I can't tell from your candling images. Are you able to take pictures in a dark room?

Also, when comparing what you're seeing in person to the other eggs in the Incubator, what are you seeing that looks weird when candling other than the exterior bruising?

"Bruising" seems to be most common in duck eggs. I have seen others post when this happens to their duck eggs when they are trying to pip and it's generally close to where the bill is.
What are the average number of days for this breed to hatch?

It can also happen when a duckling passes in the egg, bursts a blood vessel, etc. All of these things just show more readily with duck eggs. I can't tell from your candling images. Are you able to take pictures in a dark room?

Also, when comparing what you're seeing in person to the other eggs in the Incubator, what are you seeing that looks weird when candling other than the exterior bruising?
The average hatch time is around 28 days. It’s now day 23. It is moving allot in the egg when I was candling it. Unfortunately only one egg took out of the 6 we started incubating. This is my first time incubating so idk quite exactly what the eggs are meant to look like but comparing to the images I have seen on the internet the dark spot just didn’t seem right. Thank you for getting back to me :)

The average hatch time is around 28 days. It’s now day 23. It is moving allot in the egg when I was candling it. Unfortunately only one egg took out of the 6 we started incubating. This is my first time incubating so idk quite exactly what the eggs are meant to look like but comparing to the images I have seen on the internet the dark spot just didn’t seem right. Thank you for getting back to me :)

While bruising isn't something you want to see during incubation, if there is movement then just continue to wait. I would keep an eye on it and make sure there aren't any foul odors coming from it. Fingers crossed! :fl

While bruising isn't something you want to see during incubation, if there is movement then just continue to wait. I would keep an eye on it and make sure there aren't any foul odors coming from it. Fingers crossed! :fl
This morning I woke up and found that my egg had drastically changed colour and got allot darker over night. The egg does not smell at all and there is still lots of movement. Do you think the duck could make it?

Attachments

• 0BA9B075-F043-4F0A-9A56-650DDE5A486B.jpeg
    0BA9B075-F043-4F0A-9A56-650DDE5A486B.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 15
This morning I woke up and found that my egg had drastically changed colour and got allot darker over night. The egg does not smell at all and there is still lots of movement. Do you think the duck could make it?

Wow, I won't lie, I've never seen one quite this bad before. Something is definitely going on in there but there's nothing that can be done to change it unfortunately. It could be releasing of a pool of moisture but I imagine you will find that a blood vessel was nicked and you'll find blood in that area. They can survive this, so don't give up on it, but also don't get your hopes up just in case it doesn't make it.

I would also recommend stopping turning now. It's close enough to lockdown that there won't be any detrimental effects to not turning anymore.

Just as a side note, what have you had the humidity at throughout incubation? Hand turning or automatic? What Incubator are you using? Did you do the spraying and cooling method through mid incubation?

Back
Top Bottom