Having trouble resolving a bully chicken in the flock

htjosten

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
We have four chickens that are over a year old and have been togehter since chicks. Our SS was a late layer and since she started laying she moved up in the pecking order. Our new bottom of the pecking order is really getting picked on. She is contstantly chased away from food. It is as if #1's only mission in life is to keep #4 from eating. Then we have new chicks that we just put in the coop in a separate enclosure which may be causing some tension; however #1 did not pay much attention to the new chicks. Last weekend #1 was very aggresively fighting with #4. It used to be just to keep her away from the food now it seems like she wants to kill her. We let all 4 older chickens out in the backyard to give them some more space, but #1 still ended up attacking #4. I am also pregnant and hormonal and not interested in having this drama. We separated the bully for a week like we read on this website and the three others are getting along well without her. We reintroduced the bully at night and she resumed the agressive fighting the next morning, so we separated her again. Would another week of separation help or should we just eat her? I never thought I would want to eat them but the fact that she is causing so much tension in the flock makes me think we would be better with out her. I dont understand why this is happening. Part of me think #4 just got tired of being kept from the food and started to fight back. Our coop is big enough for all of them (12x8 run & 4x8 coop). Any advice would be appreciated!

Another week may work. Each chicken is an individual. The first time was she isolated from the rest of the flock was it so she couldn't see them and ideally not hear them as well? If they can see and hear each other it is less effective.

They can not see eachother but they are loud little hens, they maybe able to hear each other.

Back
Top Bottom