Having trouble screwing chicken nipples into container!

Weasleymum

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Virginia
I've followed the instructions, drilled a 11/32" hole into the bottom of a Nalgene water bottle (hard plastic). Now I can't get the darned thing in there. What am I doing wrong? I do not trust this company very much because they describe an 11/32 as being smaller than a 5/16... I'm no math genius, but I believe that 5/16" = 10/32", which is SMALLER than 11/32". Everything I've read about chicken nipples says, "do NOT make a bigger hole!" but not how to actually get it installed.

Are they the orange ones or stainless?
I know the threads are a proprietary size. Research other companies that sell them and you'll get other drill dimensions. Eventually, when you have the right size hole, you'll still have to apply some pressure to start threading them in. Put some plumber's Teflon tape on the threads first and that will help them seal.

Thank you so much! I've actually got it in now, called my husband and he said I needed to "waller out" the hole, by putting the drill bit back in and widening it a tiny bit. Never heard the term before but it worked...

The Nalgene material is super hard and my be too dense to get the threads to bite into. I've never tried it, but its pretty bullet proof stuff. Have you heard of anyone using a Nalgene bottle? The PVC material that is normally used is pretty workable for stuff like that.
Good luck. I'll be interested to hear if you get anywhere.

Waller is a term any do-it-yourselfer is very familiar with.
Ya learn something new every day.

The problem with having a very handy spouse is that it has the potential to limit one's own do-it-yourself capabilities. He said, 'I don't know how to spell it, but anybody in construction knows what it means..." Yep, I'm too used to having him do stuff. Live and learn.

Hands on is the best teacher. Just get in and do it. Being careful not to hurt yourself.
It helps to have a not too critical handyperson behind you to alert you when they see you doing something wrong.

''waller out" is a very hi-tech term used in construction; you can definitely trust anyone who uses those hi-tech terms. My Dad taught me that term years ago.

Hands on is the best teacher. Just get in and do it. Being careful not to hurt yourself.
It helps to have a not too critical handyperson behind you to alert you when they see you doing something wrong.

SIGH. My helper is my 3-year-old. He tore the bird netting, lost a screw, and DRANK FROM THE CHICKEN NIPPLE after we finally got it installed.
he.gif
You know, to make sure it was working. Good news-- both Nalgene bottles and the nipples I bought can stand up to a sanitary boil! Seriously, I would LOVE to have an experienced person standing behind me...

Back
Top Bottom