Having trouble treating splayed leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkhope, Nov 7, 2007.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    My little splash silkie who hatched over the weekend has splay leg. I have tried yarn tying, taping them (all from searches here) and she just falls over on her back and can't get back up. I can't figure out what to do with her??? I have put rubber type material under her so she can grip better. Any other tricks you can think of? She hops around and gets to food, water, etc. but that leg just flies out to the side...

Thanks for your help.
    Ashley

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Put the bandaid back on to her feet and leave it for 3-4 days. It will have to learn to stand with it's legs together even if it flips over. Else you know what will have to happen. Ideally, if one ends up with a splayed leg, tape from day one on as they get older, their ability to correct decreases.

3. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    One of my chicks that hatched in Sept. had spraddle legs. I cut a 3/4" bandaid in half and wrapped each side around its legs. I kept it there until it fell off on its own. You can't even tell which one it was now.

My chick had a hard time standing and flipped over and fell over, sometimes walking too. After a day of two of this, my little guy was running around like nothing ever happened. [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    One of my button quail I that just hatched out on the weekend had splayed legs bad. I tried the band-aid thing but it had it off by the time I got home. So I went and took the paper towels out of the brooder and laid a old bath towel down instead. It took it a couple days but this morning I can't tell which one it was. So I would try the band-aid and maybe put a hand towel or bath towel down to help it get a grip when walking. Good Luck.

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I have found vet wrap works the best expecially if they have the feathers on their legs. Vet wrap should be at your livestock supply store. Or places like WalMart or Drug stores have something like it in the first aid section. It looks like light weight ace bandage only it is self sticking.

It stays on for several days well. I had no luck with the bandaids or other methods. They were off as soon as I set the chick down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by