Having Trouble with Finding Chicks in Stock...

kynewbchickie

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Estill County, KY
My Coop
My Coop
I checked Meyer, Murray McMurray, MPC, and another one that is a big-time online shipper of hatchlings...I'm trying to order some Ameraucanas to replace 7 Aussies that are being sold in a few weeks to a friend's mother. Anyone know of any hatcheries with stock available at any point this summer that I can order from? Juvenile pullets are EXPENSIVE at most places, so I'd rather get sexed chicks and take a chance.

You would probably do better looking for a breeder who has the breeds/colors you are looking for. Most hatcheries do not carry Ameracanas. That might be changing, but in the past many times you ended up with Easter Eggers instead.

You would probably do better looking for a breeder who has the breeds/colors you are looking for. Most hatcheries do not carry Ameracanas. That might be changing, but in the past many times you ended up with Easter Eggers instead.

I've read about that - people ordering and expecting Araucana/Ameraucana babies, and wind up with EE that can't be shown. Needless to say, they still lay pretty eggs, but when you're looking into getting involved in showing and breeding - you kinda need to get what you think you're ordering. I'm new to looking for breeders - it looks like the lavender varieties are all over the UK, but I'm in Kentucky here in the States and I just don't see a trip across the pond in my future AND being able to bring back birds.

The reason I'm trying to find a breeder of Lavs is because I'd like to become a breeder myself - I'd like to be a part of the solution to the problem of very, very few breeders in the States. I'd set up a website, vaccinate the chicks if requested for both Marvek's and Cocci, and be able to provide REAL Lavender Araucana/Ameraucana chicks rather than be one of the hatcheries that sells EE as something else.

Back
Top Bottom