having trouble with my sebrights

Sjeane

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013
Evans, Louisiana
Picked up 7baby buff sebrights from a local guy that hatched them off and i am not sure what is happening to them. The day after we got them i had to leave them with my inlaws that have raised chicks before, because i had to go have surgery.they put a light on them, sugar water and chick starter on them inside a tote with some hay. At rhe time they were 3 days old. That first night 2 of them died. I just fot home from the hospital and my wife has been caring for them while i am recovering. One of them had poop stuck to its vent yesterday and wouldnt open its eyes so i tol her to use warm water to clean its vent and she wet a cloth an wiped it eye down also an the little thin opened them. Thinking all was good she put it back in the brooder. A few hours later she went to check them an the one she had cleaned had its neck broken, was turned completely upside down and could not pick otself up at all but was still chirping. Am i just having bad luck with my buffs or is there any diseases that simulate broken neck?

Sorry for the typos .doing this from a tablet cant get to my pc

Oh man! This sounds bad... The one with poop stuck in it's vent sounds like pasty butt, but the other ones sound like they have something mentioned in this article. Hope that this helps! https://tikktok.wordpress.com/tag/treat-chicken-with-wry-neck/
hit.gif
I'm really sorry about your chicks that died.

Thanks so much! I have dealt with pasty butt an never really had issues with it other than it bein an inconvenience wry neck was completely new to me though and freaked me and the wife out. Hoping the rest of my babies make it all right

welp. all the rest of my sebright babies died. the last ones were about 2 weeks old. no clue on why they died. there was no ruptured spots or pasty butt build up. i continued feeding them chick starter and sugar water. these are the first chicks i have gotten that just seemed to all die. could it have been genetics from the mom/dads? i currently have 6 other chicks in the same brooder that are as healthy as can be that i hatched myself. second bantams i have dealt with, but the first ones that i had this much trouble with.

I just read about your troubles with the seabrights. I am sending you my condolences on the loss of your chicks.
It could be that there was something genetic that contributed to the loss.
I can only add that with the bantams and polish that I have raised I found that grinding the chick starter to a finer granule has helped them in the first 2 weeks to take in more feed.
I have not and hope never to encounter wry neck.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Babs

Back
Top Bottom