Hawk Attack! Antibiotics? How can I help my roo?

Gooter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
central VA
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I hate to start out by asking for help, but I do need it!

I have a little Serama roo that is a little over a year old. He lives in my house in a great coup I built, but during these summer months I've been letting him outside to hang out with my 2 Wellsummer pullets and my Silver Laced Wynadotte hen (outside their fully enclosed run) during the day. All has been well until late this morning.

I was out on my deck watching the chickens and the roo was behind their run in the treed area. The girls went nuts and when I looked over, a hawk was on my roo! I ran to him and the hawk spooked off. My roo ran straight to me and then headed to the house. When I got him inside I looked him over as well as I could, but he was pretty shocky so I didn't want to stress him more.

There was no blood evident anywhere, but at the time he was wheezing a little. His feathers weren't really too messed up, considering. He went into his coup and settled in the wood shavings for a while. A little later he was up on his perch and coming out of of the shocky stupor, but seemed sleepy and obviously stressed. Within several hours he came back down and out (he has free run of the place) and ate some millet. Right now he's up on his roost sleeping.

I'm wondering if he shouldn't get some sort of antibiotic or something because I would find it hard to believe that hawk didn't give him some puncture wounds with his claws. I can handle him to look again in the morning (my roo loves me) but I don't really see the need to hurt him or stress him by doing that. I'll see how he crows in the morning, and how he seems to feel. But I am wondering where I might be able to get something for him if he still seems sluggish or if it looks like infection is setting in from small puncture wounds that are hidden. What might I give him?

Obviously, he's going to stay inside until I make another fully enclosed run for him. I keep him separate from the girls because my silver hen had her back feathers stripped by the 2 roos she was in with before I got her, and when I had my roo in with a hen before she was trying to eat his feathers till he was naked. I don't want naked chickens! But I love my roo so much - he hangs out with me in the house (basement, where I work) and rides on my shoulder and talks to me so sweet! I want him to be okay!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you all for making such a great forum. I had NO idea chickens make such fantastic pets till I got my roo this past winter! I LOVE CHICKENS!
Thank you!
Eileen

welcome-byc.gif
Well i hear tylen is good also you need to deal with shock cover his roosting area or cut off the light and keep him warm ,baby vit. are good (cant think of the name) and he need electrolights (spelled wrong i know) mabie pedalite..... sorry your first post had to be so depressing... There stronger than we give them credit for...

Last edited:
Keep in mind that he's not a loner. Chickens do best with other chickens. I had to stitch up one of my hens after a dog attack. I kept her inside for several days and she was just sitting on her perch very quiet. When I brought in her best buddy hen to stay in the kennel with her, she immediately perked up, and I'm convinced she healed better and faster.

Try not to have him alone for too long. Putting another chicken or two with him will be a huge help.

I had an issue with a hawk attack last year. The stupid thing came down rite in front of my husband and flew into a baby pen I had set up for my pullets. It attacked and killed 3 and left them there. Two others had actually puncture wounds under thier wings. One of them you could actually see air coming in and out as the breathed. _ It made a craking noise when it breathed.

I treated as follows : betadine & water & mixture squirted in and around the wounds, rinse, then a peroxide and water mixture, rinse, dry and then some antibiotic cream around the wounds. - you will need to re-apply the ointment and check on the wounds atleast twice a day. Watch for infection.

I was also able to get some penicillan at the local grain store. I gave them an injection, I think every other day for a week.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the replies so far. I'll see if I can get some penicillin in the morning, and I'll double check under his wings. I'm thinking (and hoping) that the hawk only pounced on him and pinned him, and to me, the way his feathers were pretty much intact makes me think it hadn't had a chance to really scrunch him. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thank you!

My chicken has a strange raised ring on it's neck with a crater in it's flesh. A chicken vet recommend this protocol to heal. Maybe this would be useful to you for the wounds and keeping out infection and flies.

Good luck!
fl.gif

This an email someone sent me trying to help me out. After doing this a few days I choose to put "wound Coat" on before "pick no more" because it seemed to leave such a thick coating.

I just consulted with chicken doctor Tina and here is the recommended protocol:
1) Flush wound with Betadine & water (mixed 50/50)
2) Apply "Pick No More" lotion
3) Apply "Wound Coat" spray (apply with a q-tip) if near head of chicken
4) Apply "Swat" to keep flies/maggots off (ugh!) - very important
All items should be available at your local feed store.
Very good to have on hand - a "Chicken First Aid Kit"!

It is common for chickens to peck at each other. Tina also had a chicken with half the skin and feathers peeled off it's back because of a dog "playing" too rough with it. It has totally healed by using the method described above. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom