Hawk attack? Can someone help determine what tried to kill my girls yesterday? What else should I do? BYC link below saved my girls life!

I want to start off by THANKING YOU ALL for sharing knowledge and educating me (and many others! I was scared & lost, the BYC post linked below saved my Goldie girl. šŸ™
Can someone help me figure out what tried to kill Goldie girl & Checker baby?
Is there more to do aside from cleaning wounds daily?
AND Can she sleep in the coop missing so many feathers, will she stay warm?
My 3 chickens free range my small fenced backyard in SE Pennsylvania suburb. Around 2pm yesterday afternoon I heard a dozen crows squawking & screaming, a few is normal but this was excessive. I looked out the window and saw em on the electic wire and circling my yard so I ran outside and feathers were everywhere. I saw my black star running for the patio under the awning and my goldie girl stumbling after her trying to make it. I swooped her up in my arms, saw skin and blood. Panicked looking for my dominique, finally found her tucked in the corner behind plywood wind break, she looked ok at quick glance but is missing all her feathers on back of her neck. . Called a friend to help me get the girls inside while i check out goldie. Shes got a lot of missing feathers along her back, some cuts/gouges & couldnt stand up. šŸ˜¢ i cleaned her wounds with epsom salt water coated wounds as much as i could see w neosporine. I didnt see what atacked them, someone suggested a hawk.. i found a hole in my fence behind the shed (could been there a while, I don't know). So i Setup a dog kennel in house for the other 2 hens until i can figure out the predator. And kept goldie in a crate overnight to limit her movement.
Goldies injuries are also along her back, and under her right wing. Thought a leg was broken as she kept falling over, dragging herself, leaning & when walking dragging her butt almost like a squat.
The advice for attack survivors in link below I believe saved her life. Gatorade, rest and 24 hrs later shes walking and eating.
Attached are a few pics today, nothing to gory just not pretty photos.
What would go.for the top/scruff of the neck, and their back?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hey-šŸ‘‹-iā€™m-new-to-raising-chickens-and-have-questions.1562642/post-26522276

Attachments

• 20230207_130456.jpg
    20230207_130456.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230207_130423.jpg
    20230207_130423.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230207_130403.jpg
    20230207_130403.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230207-143459_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207-143459_Gallery.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230207-143358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207-143358_Gallery.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I would spray some saline or a wound spray such as Microsyn AH twice a day on the wounds. Reapply plain Neosporin after that. Hopefully she wonā€™t have internal injuries. I would try to use a game cam to see what is coming around your coop. We had a bobcat attack last year about 2 in the afternoon. Raccoons, dogs, hawks, foxes, are some of the predators we have here. Sorry about the attack.

Looks like a hawk, especially if crows were squawking, or perhaps more than one hawk.
Thank you! I had thought the crows ganged up & attacked, byt the woman who suggested it was a hawk said crows scream as warning & try to scare hawks away. Ive no experience with animals aside from dogs & cats...I also saw a post here from a few days ago, his hen was injured under the wing as well. Im shocked at the quick turn around in Goldies health. Last night i didnt think she was going to make it & was sick & crying. Today she LAID AN EGG and walked around OK, by 4pm was scratching & pecking. So happy. I took the day off work to look after her and sat outside with the hens as they freeranged today to keep any hawks at bay. I was really cold to me, i cant do this every day. And building a big roofed run isnt an option due to borough code. I have to find a solution for my 3 hens. Any Ideas that work to deter Predatory birds?

Thank you! I had thought the crows ganged up & attacked, byt the woman who suggested it was a hawk said crows scream as warning & try to scare hawks away. Ive no experience with animals aside from dogs & cats...I also saw a post here from a few days ago, his hen was injured under the wing as well. Im shocked at the quick turn around in Goldies health. Last night i didnt think she was going to make it & was sick & crying. Today she LAID AN EGG and walked around OK, by 4pm was scratching & pecking. So happy. I took the day off work to look after her and sat outside with the hens as they freeranged today to keep any hawks at bay. I was really cold to me, i cant do this every day. And building a big roofed run isnt an option due to borough code. I have to find a solution for my 3 hens. Any Ideas that work to deter Predatory birds?
Poultry netting can cover a large area and keep hawks out. Do you have fencing to keep them contained? You can just drape the netting over it when you arenā€™t outside with them. Not the prettiest solution, but quick & inexpensive until you figure something else out.

Poultry netting can cover a large area and keep hawks out. Do you have fencing to keep them contained? You can just drape the netting over it when you arenā€™t outside with them. Not the prettiest solution, but quick & inexpensive until you figure something else out.
I was thinking of something like that. We didnt have a separate area, its just a yard. When i tried raised garden beds i bought "emergency fencing' just in case, that's what i used to cover the dog kennel as a roof when needed

Sorry your birds got attacked!

Chickens are amazingly tough creatures and can survive some extreme injuries! šŸ˜ šŸ’ŖšŸ½ šŸ” šŸ“
We had a hen attacked by a pine marten last year, she lost a 3" square piece of flesh between her shoulders! She spent about 6 weeks in the house being nursed and has returned to the Flock! šŸ˜

Things you can do to repel predators:-

Mammals - get the menfolk to pee around the boundary of the coop enclosure! Dogs too!!!

Birds of prey - hang CDs šŸ’æ from string from trees / buildings around their enclosure, the moving reflections put the birds of prey off when they dive!

Good luck!
šŸ™ šŸ’œ šŸ™ šŸ’œ šŸ™
šŸŒø āœØ šŸ’™ āœØ šŸŒø

Back
Top Bottom