Hawk Attack, does my bantam have nerve damage?

mvining

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Georgia
My rooster bantam was attacked by a hawk yesterday evening. He is eating and drinking some. I feed him hard boiled eggs as mentioned in other post. He is very alert, but he can't stand or walk. If I hold him, he moves his legs as if he wants to walk. You can feel them tighten up. However, when I let go, he falls forward or to the side. I haven't found any wounds. Yet, something is certainly wrong. I read other posts that say to pinch in between his toes for a reaction, but my rooster doesn't respond. He also shivers. He is in the house wrapped in a blanket for stability and under a lamp. Is he damaged forever? Or will this too pass? What are my options?
Thanks friends! You are my only hope as no vet around here can help me!

Bruising would be an answer to a prayer! I know some call me foolish for praying for a chicken, but there is something to be learned in this tragedy, and I intend to care for him until all hope is lost. As day 2 comes to an end, he feels stronger in his attempts to walk. He still can't stand up without assistance, but he managed to make a solid stride before falling over this evening, and he keeps kicking when he is on his side to try and get up. That's progress, right? He is still eating and pooping (not solid though). Again, thanks for helping and making me feel reasonable in this effort.

Your care for your silkie is outstanding. I'm taking all the advice and putting it into a regime. I took the B vitamin advice and make my rooster a smoothie with a lot of those ingredients. I buzzed it all in my Nutribullet, and he loves it. Now I can add the pain meds and vitamins, because he drinks his smoothie right up. I add a little chick feed on the top for crunch. ; ) Today, I checked in on him and at one point he had sat himself up!! That is a good sign, isn't it?...the fact that he can put weight in his legs? He even opened his wings slightly. I'm also giving him some Pedialyte every now and then as well as one dose of the PolyViSol. I don't know what the future holds, but he doesn't seem sickly anymore, just handicapped.
You guys are great, thank you BYC.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Your little guy may have suffered some trauma to his nerves going to the legs. Can he move his wings? It is great that he is eating. Just make sure his food and water are close to him, keep him warm, and keeping in a crate or smaller area is good. There could be swelling near the nerves that may go down in a few days. I'm hoping his shivering is just shock or a temporary neurological condition. Keep us informed of his condition.

Thanks so much for the reply! He is not moving his wings. What does this mean? He is still eating like a champ on his own, but I have to give him his water. I'm still playing to find the magic way to place his water feeder so he will drink up. He wants to walk around and still fighting to do so.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about chickens spinal cord, but it sounds like he could have some cord damage or at least swelling. I would keep helping him eat and drink like you are doing, since he may improve in a few days. Chickens can make some miraculous recoveries sometimes.

My rooster bantam was attacked by a hawk yesterday evening. He is eating and drinking some. I feed him hard boiled eggs as mentioned in other post. He is very alert, but he can't stand or walk. If I hold him, he moves his legs as if he wants to walk. You can feel them tighten up. However, when I let go, he falls forward or to the side. I haven't found any wounds. Yet, something is certainly wrong. I read other posts that say to pinch in between his toes for a reaction, but my rooster doesn't respond. He also shivers. He is in the house wrapped in a blanket for stability and under a lamp. Is he damaged forever? Or will this too pass? What are my options?
Thanks friends! You are my only hope as no vet around here can help me!

I am sorry for your rooster has damaged...

If you find wounds in him, you need to give him antibiotics..
he also shivers means that he is fighting over some infections? that is what I am very concerned..

The shivering happens after he has tried to walk a few minutes. I'm looking now to see if I can find the wound. I'm keeping him real warm now, and he seems to be resting comfortably.

I hope he will feel better soon. keeping him warm is a good idea! :) He is very lucky to have such a nice owner.

Chickens as very strong for the wounds to recover. One of my chickens survived from a fox attacking her badly last year.
I was surprised how she got well from the injury.

Was his beak covered with blood by self-defense? if so, I would give him antibiotics..

Last edited:
I haven't seen any blood. This is another reason why it feels so strange. The way he looks, no open wounds, missing feathers, etc., makes you think that he would be doing fine. I appreciate all the comments. It is something about the support that makes me feel less hopeless.

Back
Top Bottom