hawk attack - first aid advice needed

chicchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Eastern Massachusetts
The hawk attacked just now. My SLW has a gash on the back of her neck and one eye is shut and a puncture under her right wing. I brought her in, flushed the eye with saline. Peroxide and ABX ointment in the gash. Just got some spray in wound care stuff and I krazy glued most of the gash closed. I have her in the shower stall on a big towel. I droppered some electrolyte into her. She is sleeping and it sounds like she has a cold - her breathing sounds slightly congested. She has water available, but looks just absolutely wiped out. Poor thing! She is also moulting.
?????: Should I offer food? Hot oatmeal? Should she be back outside in her own private coop? Or keep her inside for a few days? Does she need any other care?
Thanks!

She may have internal injuries especially to her lungs which are attached to her back and the hit would probably have been hard on her back. I'd keep her inside and very warm maybe on towels or a heat lamp with room to move away. There's nothing much more that you can do at the moment, you seem to have done all the right things and now you wait to see if she comes out of shock and that her injuries look light enough to heal. Sorry that you are also in shock and I hope that she pops back up after awhile!
hugs.gif

I think letting her rest for several days inside would be good, she may need a day or two to get out of shock. Offer some food in a few hours, but she may not eat. Since she's also moulting, think high protein foods as well, like scrambled eggs. The puncture worries me, hope it isn't into a lung. Not much you can do but offer food, water and wait.

Good luck, you have done all the right things!

Good luck to you and your hen. She will let you know when she is ready to go back with her friends. Please keep us posted.

You all are awesome with your encouragement and advice. Thanks!
I'll have to leave her to go to work, but she should be ok in the shower stall.
p.s. the puncture is in her armpit up where the wing attaches - it looks superficial.

I've got no advice because it sounds like you are doing exactly what needs to be done. I just wanted to wish you good luck with her.

Update on Cookies & Cream - she is drinking lots of water and electolytes. She also had a good appetite this morning - scrambled eggs. Not sure about her eye yet. But she looks on the mend.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom