Hawk attack. Graphic pics *Updated pics 3/30/15

We bought a spray bottle and a giant bottle of betadine, antibiotic powder to put in her water (they didn't have injectable), and Rooster Booster. I am going to give her the abx and then spray her down with betadine and then let her rest a bit before spraying her down with Blu-Kote. I am also going to try to get more fluids into her. Still not optimistic but hoping.

Sorry to hear about the hawk attack. I think anything you would use on yourself will work.  I tend to the natural stuff such as the honey. I also use colloidal silver which is composed of distilled water and ions of pure silver in it. You can find it in most health food stores and can be in a bottle or spray bottle. It is effective against all bacteria, virus, even MRSA. It has been around for hundreds of years and even NASA uses silver for antibacterial uses.  Just another thought. Hope she pulls through. An open lung wound is difficult to deal with.  I wish you and her good luck. 

Interesting info on the silver. I've often wondered about that but too chicken to try it on myself. Seen too many pics of "blue" people. Can it be used internally for illness? What kind of dose would you give a bird and how often?

Just got home from Tractor Supply and she looks a bit better. The swelling on her ear is nearly all the way down, both eyes are open and she is blinking both equally, there is no discharge from her injured eye, and she was more feisty. She didn't appear to have eaten anymore scrambled egg, but I relatively easily got a dropper full of antibiotics and a dropper full of Rooster Booster into her. I put a drop along the side of her beak and she opened and swallowed it down. She pecked at the dropper and struggled a bit while she was wrapped in the towel and I am thinking those are all positives.

She is moving around pretty well too. I peeked under her feathers a bit and the deep puncture that I hear sucking sounds from is actually quite small. I think the injury is more of a slice along her shoulder that may have cut a tendon which is why her wing is hanging low. I am guessing if she recovers she will always have a droopy wing. I sprayed her thoroughly with iodine twice over and may go back with the Blu-Kote once the iodine is dry.

Regardless of what happens at this point, she has certainly made it clear that she wants to live.

Well, she has survived 24 hours now. Much more than I expected. She isn't eating much at all. I picked up a bit of the scrambled egg from this morning and offered it to her and she only pecked at it but didn't actually eat it. I am wondering if she would eat a bit if corn... I don't know how long she can go without food. She is definitely taking fluids that I give her with the dropper, but I am wondering if I should use a tube to get some food into her crop? I was also thinking maybe trying some yogurt and dipping her beak in it?

Actually there were only two cases of turning blue. One worked in a silver mine for 25 years, so very over exposed to silver. The other guy ingested very high doses of very high concentrations of it for a few years. He made his own without testing for concentration. The normal dose (around 10-20 nanoparts per million) if taken one ounce three times a day would only be eliminated in your urine. So no fear of turning blue, but it would go through your bloodstream and do its "magic" and the kidneys would eliminate it. When I first got my chicks I put an ounce of 10 nanoparts per million in a gallon of water to give to them. A few months later I lost a couple due to coccis which I treated with corrid from Tractor supply. A vet diagnosed the dead one and sold it to me. I would not be afraid to give CS to the chicks.

So she had a new development. It is not a hole in her lung, but a hole in her crop. She is super perky this evening and was drinking and eating raw egg yolk on her own when I held them out to her. She started gurgling a bit and I saw some bubbles forming on her wound at one small point. She drank like crazy and suddenly the electrolyte solution started dripping out.

I am super nervous to try to sew it up because of the extent of her shoulder/wing injury. Can I just super glue it??

I hope everything goes well!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom