Hawk attack in front of me

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cheri222, Sep 21, 2010.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I let the them out of the run to get some greens, our yard is 3/4 acre fenced with about 50 acre of woods behind. They were about 10 feet in front of me and here comes Mr Hawk swoops down and hits the lilac tree! Thank god for bad aim or Oliver the 4 month silkie roo would have been history. They ran like crazy for the coop--all puffed up and talking. The hawk stayed for about 1/2 hour and watched from the tree. My son had just put the dogs in the house, do you think he will try with the dogs in the yard? They love their yard time and I love to watch but that was really close.
    Thanks
    Cheryl

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    SSH flew over my shoulder the other day and after bursting tons of feathers off a guinea ripped his head off right infront of me flew up and then dive bombed my hen house crashing into the fence he must not have seen. Poor guy was either starving or just a butt. Glad your birds are ok. keep em all cozy and safe till the migration passes. [​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Glad your birds are OK, sounds like a juvenile, there's a lot of them right now trying to earn their niche. Most of the juveniles are very hungry, too. I don't know if they'll go after your chickens if the dog's around. But, I've noticed that they don't seem to care if people are around, sometimes, especially if they're going after a small bird that they can carry away.

4. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    They will attack any time, esp the young ones.
    Bet it was a cooper's hawk. I had one come down just as I went inside. He missed that time but I did catch him prior snacking on a chick [​IMG]
    And I ran at him and he spread his wings at me. Wish he held still I wanted to kick him! [​IMG]
    My kids are only in the run now till I feel hes moved on even then Ill be out with them. [​IMG] Hawks Suck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by