Hawk Attack... injured hen! Please help with where to start...

hugs.gif
your poor hen! I've only had experience with a chicken that got hurt by a dog a long time ago, my fingers are crossed that there are no internal injuries.

She is still not eating on her own... But she seems to be looking better... Her eye is so swollen. It looks like the hawk tried to rip her head off.
My friendly little hen s no longer friendly... She is very scared & just a bundle of nerves.
Yesterday I thought er jaw may be broken but seeing her move today I don't think so...
Ill take some pics of her progression & post them tonight.

That is good news! Thanks for the update.

It will take her some time to calm down but she will get back to her old self before you know it.

Last edited:
You could always try and see if bringing another calm hen (if she has a friend in the flock) in with her will perk her up. My bird dog got a hold of my rooster two weeks ago. He was mauled pretty bad. Missing most of his feathers on his back and his left wing. Was in a bad stage of shock too. I kept him in a big brooder box in the chicken pen my husband made when the rooster and my hen were babies. I put both the rooster and the hen in the box together and they were both calmer and I swear I think it played a big part in a quick recovery for the rooster. He is back to his old self and growing his feathers back. The advice I was given was the less stress on the bird, the more likely a recovery. I noticed the rooster and hen were more stressed when they were seperated so I kept them together and some more advice I recieved was to keep their sleeping quarters as dark as possible because if the rooster was resting, the rooster was healing. Keeping things as normal as possible for the hen will aid in healing. Good luck to you! I know and am freshly aware of how traumatic it is to have an injured bird!

ok so when my baby roo had his neck brock ps has passed any way my dad warmed up some milk and put it in a dropper thing he drank and has the hawk ried agin i would think a owl dcoe sorry bad spelling i whis i knew more to help sorry hope she gets better

I had a hawk try to take my baby chicks and Mama Hen(Misha) fought off the hawk but received a pretty bad sore on her back and one on her neck that I can see cuz I don't want to stress her out anymore than I have to. I don't know what I should do for her. She still has the babies with her but the gash bleeds off and on. I attached a photo of her back. Please help me help Misha. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom