Hawk attack just now. Need help.

Pics

Stablecoop

Songster
May 26, 2020
Eastern Massachusetts
Hawk just attacked, got one of Jersey Giants. We got to the hen quickly, but she’s hurt. We flushed the wound with vetericyn plus and put triple antibiotic best we could. She might have lost an eye. Been giving her droppers full of water and she is in the house with us. She can stand and has shaken her head vigorously a few times.

Don’t know if any internal injuries, but can we give her aspirin? If so, how much? Crush it and mix it w water?

Any recommendations for continuing wound care/anything else we can or should do?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 086CE401-D9EB-43B6-A47C-34D153EEC3A3.jpeg
    086CE401-D9EB-43B6-A47C-34D153EEC3A3.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 43
Hawk just attacked, got one of Jersey Giants. We got to the hen quickly, but she’s hurt. We flushed the wound with vetericyn plus and put triple antibiotic best we could. She might have lost an eye. Been giving her droppers full of water and she is in the house with us. She can stand and has shaken her head vigorously a few times.

Don’t know if any internal injuries, but can we give her aspirin? If so, how much? Crush it and mix it w water?

Any recommendations for continuing wound care/anything else we can or should do?

Thank you.
That looks really sore!
I have seen much much worse wounds than that heal up fine so I hope she does ok.🤞
Sorry I can't help at all

It sounds like you're doing good, I would keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't start to look infected. Keep it clean and do your best to not let her peck at her injury. If it's deep you could us NewSkin to help it heal faster. I don't think she'll need aspirin personally, but I don't know the dosages either, I'm sorry.
As for the injury to her eye, just try to keep it clean and you could give her electrolytes if you'd like, I try to most every time there's an open wound injury. Big thing is to make sure infection doesn't set in and she should be fine.
Best wishes!

The triple antibiotic should not have pain killer in it. Do not use hydrogen peroxide. And keep her safe from flies. If there is a chance of her getting pecked, put her in a dog crate in the coop so she is still with her flock mates. Of course be sure she has feed, water and grit. Good job saving her from the hawk! Is she eating and drinking okay?

Sounds like you have a good handle on things, the wound care is important and keeping her warm and stress free, fed and watered and separate from others until wound heals up a bit. Chickens will peck exposed wounds. I’ve given my chickens a half tablet of baby aspirin and they were fine. They just ate it from my hand but I suppose you could crush it into food. All the best for her!

One BABY aspirin daily for pain; if she won't take it out of your hand as a treat, then open her beak with one hand (stuffing your pinky finger between upper & lower halves to keep her mouth open), then poke the tablet to the back of her tongue and remove your pinky finger from her mouth, she should swallow it. If she's bleeding internally, it will make matters worse, but if she's not, it will take the edge off of the massive headache and body aches that she's sure to have.
Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Poor baby. Vetericyn is awesome wound care. I'm trying to get in touch with my daughter cause she's nursed more chicken than anyone i know. Will let you know what i find out. Hope everything turns out well

Back
Top Bottom