hawk attack lockdown

I have resident Redtails so I keep my chickens in the covered pen. I tend to see the hawks in the fall and Spring. And I have a Horned Owl currently watching my flock. He's really putting a dent in the rodent population. Though he's supposed to be nocturnal he's not above a crack-of-dawn snack before bedding down.

Keep then in at least two weeks, maybe longer, especially if you are seeing a hawk in the area. It's best to have a coop and covered run that's predator proof, for this situation, and for the other times your birds need to be inside.
At least raptors only take one bird at a time! Canines of any sort, and weasels, will kill many at once.
Last year our flock was locked in under a roof for six months, because of AI.
Mary

Past couple of days I've obsessively looked through every tree branch visible from my coop (I live in woods, this was no small feat) with a pair of 10x42 binoculars. Couldn't see any hawks.

How do y'all spot hawks?

Past couple of days I've obsessively looked through every tree branch visible from my coop (I live in woods, this was no small feat) with a pair of 10x42 binoculars. Couldn't see any hawks.

How do y'all spot hawks?
I see them while I'm in the horse barn or birdwatching from the house. I also see quite a few birds while riding the horse.

I have 4 hawks, 2 eagles, and 2 owls buzzing my place on a regular basis these days. The hawks and eagles have been a nuisance for a year and a half; the owls are newer. They have never gotten one of my chickens, but I'm about the only person in my immediate area with an actual enclosure who doesn't free range my birds unsupervised every day. The hawks must have a decent amount of luck with others' flocks in the area since they always make the rounds and come back to scope out my birds on a regular basis. The lack of success doesn't deter them from my birds at all; it's a real pain. The only deterrent that seems to work is my dog and she only gets rid of them for the day if even that long. They happily come back in a day or two. If your hawk(s) are in a similar position of multiple flocks to pick on, it may not really be possible to wait them out.

How do y'all spot hawks?
I never see them until either the resident crows/ravens/jays or my chickens sound off about it. Often I don't see them even then until the crows or ravens go in and try to chase them out of wherever they're lurking.

Protecting my chickens is priority involving most of my senses.Whenever im outside (or inside), i look, listen, smell. Generally, I'll hear a hawk, owl, or eagle, THEN I start looking for it. Or the crows start a ruckus and I'll look. Something smells off? I start to investigate (yes some predators have a smell). It's hard to describe, but keeping your property safe involves more than looking.

My girls were out few weeks ago (just into the woodline, up here in Maine) and I heard them squawking and ran over to see a hawk gliding off -- two had pressed against the wood pile, two ran into the garage, one was in the coop, and the 6th was off dust bathing and blissfully unaware. None were hurt but since then I only let them out around 3pm and mostly I am nearby (if not hovering right over them), whereas before they were out most of the day. I think what you said about the trees now being bare is significant and why the attack occurred now. They have a fenced pen around their coop and I have draped it 100% in bird netting. But I agree it is hard to keep them in when they pace and grumble, wanting to go out, be free, and have an adventure!

I had a hawk wait around for me to let out my birds, even when I was out there. I lost 2 birds that wanted to sleep out side in the fall. And I had 2 broken windows in the fall, the first broken one something stole 2 hens. I have been keeping my hens in the coop because of the winter. There is no place for them to walk anyhow. No hawks currently.

I had a hawk attack at dusk a couple of months ago. I think it had stalked my flock and made its way to lower tree branches, then sailed across some grass hovering at 6” from the ground to my Ameracauna right next to me. BALLSY! I guess it was a smaller hawk and my Ameracauna fought him under my van, so he couldn’t get any traction and thankfully it gave up.

I’m keeping my extensive raspberry brambles as cover for my flock, and their coop will be very close to it.

Back
Top Bottom